where can i get CO2 in houston?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
i live in the downtown area and was looking for a cheap place to get my tank filled with CO2

I don't know. :(

Got a local Airgas supplier? Airgas is a pretty big company I think...

Just don't leave your filled tank in the car for a long time..

Come on you Texans, ya'll should've answered this question in a heartbeat! Have you no pride? I know things move slower in the south, but this is ridiculous! Us midwesterners would've had this question answered in under 2 minutes!

I also don't know. :(

You could also try welding supplies or fire extinguisher supplies.
If you have a decent LHBS, they can usually recommend sources.

-a.

Matheson Tri Gas (welding supply) has several shops in the Houston area:

http://www.trigas.com/Distributors2.asp?Location=TX

I usually get my cylinder swapped through them in Austin. They may be subject to some local ordinances (they can do tank swaps for MAPP gas in Austin, but have to rent tanks in Ft. Worth) but CO2 is pretty standard and I don't think you'd have any problems.

I get my tank swapped instead of filled, they generally 5 lb aluminum CO2 tanks handy and if you have an account with them and do tank swaps, you never have to worry about getting your tank recertified. They always give you one that's up to date.

EDIT:

That link is for their distributors in Texas, of which there are many. The actual Matheson shop is here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...+TX&daddr=2200+Houston+Ave,+Houston,+TX+77007

If you don't want to exchange your beautiful aluminum tank then.......Air Gas at Hempstead Hwy and Cypress N Houston (inside BW8), Defalcos on Stella Link, Beverage Barn on Richmond btw Gessner and Fondren............If you want to exchange then Matheson Tri Gas is on Houston Ave at I-10 on the North side of downtown. Let me know if anyone else knows of CO2 places - also I got a great deal on a new aluminum CO2 tank and a new place I just found .......5 # was $55 and the 10# was $75 with born on dates of September 2009.

Let me know if anyone else knows of CO2 places - also I got a great deal on a new aluminum CO2 tank and a new place I just found .......5 # was $55 and the 10# was $75 with born on dates of September 2009.

Well that looks like a good deal. Where'd you find the $55 5-pounder?

I live in Downtown Houston as well. Best place by far is called Carbonics. http://carbonics.com/ Really nice family owned place that filled my 35lb tank for $28 bucks! They are kind of in the ghetto but I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Troutbelly I found the new cheap CO2 Tanks at KegCowboy.Com they were the lowest price on the internet that I found. If you get one do not let the CO2 supplier switch it out for a pre-filled tank because chances are it will not be nice and new like your tank.

Thanks for the tips!

I found a couple of Cornelius kegs at the Alamo thrift store in Pasadena, so I was looking for the cheapest way to make them useful. :)

I can't help on a specific store, but where I'm from the cheapest place to have them filled is a local paintball store. They fill it while you wait so you always get your tank back. You may want to try a paintball store if one is close to you. Good luck.

I usually get my tank filled at Defalcos on Stella Link, but there is another place you can go on the east side of town. I don't think it would be worth it for you to drive from Katy to the East side, but if you want to, I'll let you know.

Defalcos charges $15 for 5 lbs.

Oh yeah, make sure that you put your tank on ice preferably in an ice chest when you take it to get filled up otherwise they won't be able to get a good fill on it.

A lot of people don't know this and because of this, they get ripped off.

It's kinda near Hobby Airport, not like scary ghetto, just nestled in a predominately lower income Hispanic neighberhood. Folks are the nicest and pretty sure they even do beer gas. Check out their website, the prices can't be beat.

The refill prices are about the same as Airgas, which I think is reasonable but their Aluminum CO2 tank prices are more than double that of KegCowboy.Com
Example
Prices of Carbonics
Cylinders available for Purchase
Purchase 2.5 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $85.00
Purchase 5 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $110.50
Purchase 10 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $124.15
Purchase 20 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $152.75

Prices of KegCowboy
Purchase 2.5 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $56.00
Purchase 5 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $54.00
Purchase 10 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $75.00
Purchase 20 lb aluminum co2 cylinder $N/A

They might be good for gas but we have one of the lowest priced companies for CO2 tanks (even for internet companies) right here in town

You could actually buy the lowest priced kegerator kit and a tank for less than you get just the tank from carbonics. No offense the refil prices are fine, but we should make locals aware of their options in case they are buying hardware.

This place let me trade in an out of date empty 20lb tank for a new full one. Can't remember the exact price but it was less than $30.

Acetylene Oxygen
6455 Chimney Rock Road
Houston, TX 77081
(713) 666-4656

We are refilling CO2 without having to trade tanks and are one of the few options available on Saturdays.

Back