Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Hi All,
Yesterday I dry hopped for the first time. Not sure if I did it right....

Boiled muslin bag with 3 marbles for 10 mins
Cooled, then added 1/2 oz whole hops into the carboy

I have never seen whole hops before. They smell much more earthy and stale than pellets...is this normal?

Anyway, they are floating on the top and not fully saturated. Is there any risk that they will rot since they are exposed to air or co2 at the surface, or am I just worrying?

Thanks!

It should be fine. You have it in the carboy with the airlock on, right?

I don't know that they smell any "earthier" than pellets, I guess that depends on the variety. I'd say that boiling for 10 minutes is overkill for sanitization, but it sure won't hurt anything. I just dunk in sanitizer and wait a minute, fill and put it in. That is, when I use hops bags. I now just usually chuck them in!

gregblatz said:
Hi All,
Yesterday I dry hopped for the first time. Not sure if I did it right....

Boiled muslin bag with 3 marbles for 10 mins
Cooled, then added 1/2 oz whole hops into the carboy

I have never seen whole hops before. They smell much more earthy and stale than pellets...is this normal?

Anyway, they are floating on the top and not fully saturated. Is there any risk that they will rot since they are exposed to air or co2 at the surface, or am I just worrying?

Thanks!
They shouldn't smell stale. Hopefully they were not all yellowish/brown? Or smelled like cheese?

Yeah, there is no telling, since I don't really know what fresh whole hops should smell like. I guess I will learn in time, but they seemed stale to me. Maybe next time I will order them from a high volume online retailer rather than the local brew shop and see if there is a difference.

YooperBrew; yes they are in the carboy and covered, good to hear that it won't be a problem.

Thanks a bunch!

What type of hops? Earthy would be a good description of 4-5 hops. Hops turn brown & start smelling "cheesy" when they go bad.

Back