astringent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No1ukno

Reaction score
Ok guys so I'm on about brew number 12. I have always had this strange off flavor. I thought it was the extract so I switched to Ag with same results. It made me stop for brewing for about a year and back into it. So I made the bells 2h clone and kegged it (also a first). Ok started out in keg last friday and was tasting amazing. I was so excited. Well yesterday i started to notice that familiar flavor and today its stronger. I have no idea what this off flavor is or how to describe it. Its kinda bitter and mouth puckering and slighty alcoholic flavor. Lhbs says water here is perfect for brewing never checked though. I fermented slighty to high and pitched little to high around 70 to 72 but was down to 66 next day. Is this flavor just "green" or what. Pitched a large 1 liter starter.

Ok guys so I'm on about brew number 12. I have always had this strange off flavor. I thought it was the extract so I switched to Ag with same results. It made me stop for brewing for about a year and back into it. So I made the bells 2h clone and kegged it (also a first). Ok started out in keg last friday and was tasting amazing. I was so excited. Well yesterday i started to notice that familiar flavor and today its stronger. I have no idea what this off flavor is or how to describe it. Its kinda bitter and mouth puckering and slighty alcoholic flavor. Lhbs says water here is perfect for brewing never checked though. I fermented slighty to high and pitched little to high around 70 to 72 but was down to 66 next day. Is this flavor just "green" or what. Pitched a large 1 liter starter.

Since it's been happening with extract and AG beers, and all styles, it does sound like the water. It sounds like alkalinity in the water, specifically.

I'd probably try one batch with purchased RO (reverse osmosis) water from the "water machines" that I see at the grocery store or in places like Wal-Mart. If you use 100% RO water, and still get that flavor, then you know it's something else.

Well thank you its been a mystery of mine. My lhbs says the water is amazing and they have no issues. I may bring them a sample. Would it take so long in keg to start presenting itself like that. That was what shocked me was how there was literally no off flavor then bam here I am lol.

Back