I need a rootbeer recipe and a supplier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the recipe I have been developing and right now its great. I may make some minor changes but it is good where it stands right now.

The place where I have been getting my supplies and have great prices is www.herbco.com

Good luck and lets us know how it all turns out for you.
Quick question, you mentioned your ingredients weren't in powder form for the most part. I see on herbo.com that sarsaparilla root is either cut and sifted or in powder form. Things like the roots would be cut and sifted then strained, right?

Also, do you ever add that maltodextrin?
Thanks!

Quick question, you mentioned your ingredients weren't in powder form for the most part. I see on herbo.com that sarsaparilla root is either cut and sifted or in powder form. Things like the roots would be cut and sifted then strained, right?

Also, do you ever add that maltodextrin?
Thanks!
Yes I get the root bits (Cut and sifted), not powder. So thats what I would recommend using. I have never tried powder, but I feel the root pieces would be easier to work with.

I do use maltodextrin.

Yes I get the root bits (Cut and sifted), not powder. So thats what I would recommend using. I have never tried powder, but I feel the root pieces would be easier to work with.

I do use maltodextrin.
Awesome, thank you. How much maltodextrin do you use in your recipe? It is likely one I will try.

Hang on, crazy8, your video and an earlier post you said 4 oz. maltodextrine PER GALLON. Now you said 4 oz. for a 3 gallon batch. Which is correct?

Hang on, crazy8, your video and an earlier post you said 4 oz. maltodextrine PER GALLON. Now you said 4 oz. for a 3 gallon batch. Which is correct?

I apologize it is actually 4oz that I use for a 3 gallon batch. However I do believe that when I very fist started I was using substantially more. I just remember it tasting awful and being way to thick. I plan on redoing some of my videos so I will be sure that gets corrected. When I wrote the "4oz/gallon" what I meant to say, and obviously makes a huge difference, was "4oz/3gallon batch" Anyway I will be sure to just write it out as "4oz for a 3 gallon batch" anyway, thanks for the catch.

Is the yeast added enough to give it alcohol? I am trying to find a non alcoholic recipe that I can carbonate by bottling, not kegging. Any suggestions?

Is the yeast added enough to give it alcohol? I am trying to find a non alcoholic recipe that I can carbonate by bottling, not kegging. Any suggestions?

Well, depends how you look at it. Yeast eats sugar and then turns the sugar into CO2 and Alcohol. Alcoholic beverages, made with yeast, sit for long periods of time to increase the alcohol content. Root beer only sits for about 2-3 days. This isnt long enough to produce any substantial alcohol. Will alcohol be produced? Technically, yes. But so little its almost undetectable. I have heard that it would take 3 gallons (i believe) of root beer to even come close to the alcohol content of a single can of cheep beer. Something like that.

Ya I followed the recipe exactly and iv ha a bottle bomb an all the others are so fizzy when opened the just foam out everything and nothin is left but it tastes great. Any suggestions on how I can prevent this

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ya I followed the recipe exactly and iv ha a bottle bomb an all the others are so fizzy when opened the just foam out everything and nothin is left but it tastes great. Any suggestions on how I can prevent this

Bottle in plastic and refrigerate when the bottle is rock hard. Drink within a few days.

You need to be very careful with the yeast. There are specific directions.

You under-pitch by a lot. The yeast runs out of oxygen and stalls out.

Hi,

I've got a pretty good handle on steeping and brewing but I've never done root beer. I've done a lot of searching on google and most of the recipes are extracts. I'd like to try my hand at something a little more homemade. I'm not against using sasparilla, wintergreen, or any other ingredient. I just want it to taste great.

I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on rare ingredients, but I'm assuming I'll need to get online for some of this stuff. Indianapolis doesn't have much here.

Please help me make a recipe, and offer suggestions for online venders that supply such ingredients. :)

I suggest that you first try the simplest recipe and then work your way to increasingly complicated recipes until you find one that suits your taste. That way, you won't waste money buying ingredients that you don't need. In my experience, a combination of equal parts sassafras, wintergreen and sarsaparilla are adequate.

From old books at https://archive.org/details/texts :
--------------------------------------------------
A TREATISE ON BEVERAGES OR The Complete Practical Bottler
BY
CHARLES HERMAN SULZ, Technical Chemist and Practical Bottler
COPYRIGHT, 1888. BY C. H. SULZ & OO.

Root-Beer Essence. Ottawa or Otaki Root Beer.
Oil of sassafras, wintergreen, anise, of each three fluid drachms. Cut with pumice and sugar in a mortar and gradually dissolve in nine fluid ounces of alcohol of 95 per cent, then add by degrees nine fluid ounces of water. To
this essence various additions are made to suit the taste. Extract of
liquorice root or of wild cherry bark, extract of ginger, capsicum, solution
of citric acid, etc., are the usual admixtures, and then the essence or
"extract" as erroneously called is made to sail as Ottawa, Otaki, etc.,
root-beer extract.

Root Beer.
Take of molasses three gallons, add to this ten gallons
of boiling water. Let this stand for two hours, then pour into a barrel,
and add: powdered or bruised sassafras bark, one-half pound; wintergreen
bark, one-half pound; sarsaparilla root, one-half pound; fresh
yeast, one pint. Water sufficient to make thirty to thirty-five gallons.
Let this ferment twelve hours, when it can be drawn off and bottled.
Instead of using the barks, the root-beer essence may be used for flavoring.
Another formula is: five ounces sassafras: three ounces wild
cherry bark; four gallons of molasses; five ounces allspice; five ounces
wintergreen bark; one to one and one-half ounces of hops, and the same
quantity of coriander seed. Pour boiling water on these ingredients, and
let them stand twenty-four hours; strain, then add one to two pints of
yeast and enough water to make thirty gallons. The next day draw off
and bottle.
--------------------------------------------------
KRAMER'S Book of Trade Secrets FOR THE Manufacturer and Jobber
BY
ADOLPH KRAMER
SIOUX PUBLISHING COMPANY, PUBLISHERS, Sutherland, Iowa

Root Beer Essence
1 oz. Oil of Sassafras.
3/4 oz. Oil of Wintergreen.
3/8 oz. Oil of Anise.
1/8 oz. Oil of Cloves.
3 3/4 oz. Oil of Alcohol.
4 oz. of Water.
6 ozs. Caramel.
If bitterness is needed, add tincture of
quassia, 1 oz.

Root Beer Extract
1 pt. Fluid Extract of Sarsparilla.
2 ozs. Fluid Extract Calamus.
4 fl. drs. Oil Sassafras.
1 fl. dr. Oil Wintergreen.
1 fl. dr. Oil Anise.
1 pt. Alcohol.
Water to make 1 gallon.
Caramel to Color.
Mix the caramel with 2 pints water, add
the fluid extracts, then the oil previously
mixed with the alcohol, and finally
enough water to make one gallon.

Root Beer
Boiling water 5 gals.
Add Mollases 1 1/2 gal.
Allow to stand 3 hours, then add:
Bruised Sassafras bark 1/4 lb.
Wintergreen bark 1/4 lb.
Sarsparilla root 1/4 lb.
Fresh Yeast 1/2 pt.
Water enough to make 15 to 17 gallons.
After this has fermented for 12 hours it
can be drawn off and bottled.

Root Beer
Pour boiling water on
Sassafras 2 1/2 ozs.
Wild Cherry bark 1/2 ozs.
Allspice 2 1/2 ozs.
Wintergreen 2 1/2 ozs.
Hops 1/2 oz,
Coriander seed 1/2 oz.
Mollases 2 gals.
Let the mixture stand 1 day. Strain
and add Yeast 1 pt.
This beer may be bottled the following day.

Root Beer Extract
Tincture of Ginger 12 ozs-
Extract of Vanilla 12 ozs.
Oil of Sassafras 4 ozs.
Oil of Wintergreen 2 ozs.
Oil of Anise 1 oz.
Oil of Orange 1/4 oz.
Oil of Cloves 1/4 oz.
Alcohol 1/2 gal.
Simple Syrup 3 1/2 gals-
Tincture of Soap Bark 4 ozs.
Salicylic Acid 1 dr.
Caramel 1 1/4 gals.
Water q. s. to make up to 6 gallons.
Dissolve the oils and the salicylic acid in
in the alcohol; mix the syrup, water and
caramel and add the other ingredients.

Here is the recipe I have been developing and right now its great. I may make some minor changes but it is good where it stands right now.

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
3 Star Anise
1/4 tsp. Salt (try without)
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
1 1/2 cp. Brown Sugar (try dark)
2 Vanilla Bean (Split and scraped)
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 oz. Juniper Berries (50)
1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/8tsp/ gal)

MAKES 2 GALLONS

Instructions:
1. In a large deep pot, put in 4 quarts of water.
2. While water is heating up, place all ingredients into pot except brown sugar.
3. Let boil for 30 minutes.
4. Add brown sugar toward end of boiling time
5. Add the remaining 4 quarts of water. Turn off heat and let steep to 60-95 degrees F (70-75 degrees may be optimal). Any hotter and yeast will not survive.

- If bottling
a. Pour liquid through fine mesh funnel into Ale Pale
b. Once target temp has been reached, add yeast and stir thoroughly and fill bottles

- If putting into jug(s)
c. Pour liquid through fine mesh funnel into jug
d. Once jug has been filled add 1/4 tsp. champagne yeast

6. Let sit for 3 days then put into fridge for another 3 days to chill and slow down yeast activity.
7. ENJOY :)

The place where I have been getting my supplies and have great prices is www.herbco.com

Good luck and lets us know how it all turns out for you.

Regarding the recipe, is there a reason to use both vanilla bean and vanilla extract? Or can you do without the extract?

I actually don't use either anymore. I would highly recommend using vanilla flavoring. For a 3 gallon batch I use 1 cup of vanilla flavoring. That stuff seems to turn out much better. Hope that helps.:)

Man oh man. I am going through all of this again to find a couple things and it was awesome to come back and read this. I am thinking about brewing again thanks to a couple people who recently posted on my video and interested in "kits". I still have everything including most of the ingredients. All I need to get is a bag of Sassafras. Those of you who have tried my recipe, any luck, improvements, everything turn out good? Id love to hear from you guys on your successes. Well it's great to be back and I look forward to talking with you all again.

Those of you who have tried my recipe, any luck, improvements, everything turn out good? Id love to hear from you guys on your successes.

Thank you so much for this recipe! It looked like one of the best on the web that I could find and despite a few tweaks on my part, it turned out really well. I only wanted a gallon instead of two so here's what I did:

4 Qts. Water
1 1/2 cp. Granulated sugar (didn't have any really good honey on hand)
3 Licorice Root sticks (didn't have any Star Anise)
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla chips
1/4 cp. Sassafras chips
3/4 cp. Dark Brown Sugar
4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg powder
1 tsp. Wintergreen leaves

3 days of bottle conditioning and 3 days in the fridge were perfect. And for folks asking about the alcohol content with the yeast, I couldn't taste it and certainly didn't get a buzz. It was nicely carbonated though a little sweet so I may cut back on the sugar a bit next time.

Thanks again for the great recipe Crazy8!

Thank you so much for this recipe! It looked like one of the best on the web that I could find and despite a few tweaks on my part, it turned out really well. I only wanted a gallon instead of two so here's what I did:

4 Qts. Water
1 1/2 cp. Granulated sugar (didn't have any really good honey on hand)
3 Licorice Root sticks (didn't have any Star Anise)
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla chips
1/4 cp. Sassafras chips
3/4 cp. Dark Brown Sugar
4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg powder
1 tsp. Wintergreen leaves

3 days of bottle conditioning and 3 days in the fridge were perfect. And for folks asking about the alcohol content with the yeast, I couldn't taste it and certainly didn't get a buzz. It was nicely carbonated though a little sweet so I may cut back on the sugar a bit next time.

Thanks again for the great recipe Crazy8!

WOW! Thank you very much for those comments. I'd say "one of the best on the web" is some pretty big shoes to fill, but thank you very much. I am glad you enjoyed the recipe and that things worked out for you. I've been curious about licorice root. I know we all have different tastes, but from a scale of 1-10, where do you think you'd put your recipe at on that scale? It does look quite good. I may have to get some licorice root and test it. :)

Alcohol content is very low. I have heard people say that it barely registers. However it is that they test it. I have also heard that 3 gallons of root beer don't even contain the alcohol content of a beer. So yeah, you'd have to drink a TON of it to even flirt with a buzz...lol

Interesting thread. My first "brewing" was an attempt at root beer from sassafras. I found the recipe in an old book or magazine. But it had only ingredients, not much process. I did not chill the bottles quickly, they were all gushers, but tasty. I just used sassafras and sugar I think, picking the roots locally. I may try again.

I know this thread is quite old but I had a quick question. I currently do not have the ability to keg and force carbonate so I'm going with the natural carbonation. I understand that this should be refrigerated and consumed within a few days, but is there any way to make this shelf stable using yeast to carbonate?

I may just give that a shot. I just forsee all the bottles blowing. I'm making some this weekend and I'll test a couple of bottles and see how it goes. Will report back.

Another alternative is pasteurization. Super easy to do and effective. It also doesn't require any additional, or special, equipment. :) I have done the pasteurization process effectively many times and with great success. :) Give that a try and see how it works out for you.

If you leave the bottles in the fridge, the yeast will slow down drastically, but eventually the bottles will likely blow. I have had 1 gallon carboy explode once, not in the fridge, at 3am. Not something you want to experience or clean up at the time.

Thanks Crazy8. I beleive I have read another post about pasterizing in the bottle. Would you mind walking me through your process? So far I understand the process as follows- I would want to leave a little extra head space in the bottle. Place in a lidded water bath with a grate to lift them off the bottom of the pan. Place a bottle of water with a temp probe in the water bath with the bottles you want to pasturize. Heat the water slowly until your test botle reads 160f for ten seconds. Then remove from heat to slowly cool.

Any advice or insite is always welcome.

Thanks Crazy8. I beleive I have read another post about pasterizing in the bottle. Would you mind walking me through your process? So far I understand the process as follows- I would want to leave a little extra head space in the bottle. Place in a lidded water bath with a grate to lift them off the bottom of the pan. Place a bottle of water with a temp probe in the water bath with the bottles you want to pasturize. Heat the water slowly until your test botle reads 160f for ten seconds. Then remove from heat to slowly cool.

Any advice or insite is always welcome.

Sorry I haven't posted what I do yet. I do have the specifics written down. Ill try to get those to you today if thats ok. :)

OK, Finally I found it. Here is what I have done...

* Heat up a large pot of water to 190 degrees
* When the temp reaches 190, turn off the heat, and add the bottles to the pot. Do not crowd the pot as this may lower the temp of the water to much
* Put lid on pot and let sit for 10 minutes
* After 10 minutes, carefully remove bottles and let cool.
* If you have many bottles to do...start back at the top again and do it all over again. :)
* Once the bottles have cooled, return them to the fridge and live a worry free, root beer blessed life. :)

OK, Finally I found it. Here is what I have done...

* Heat up a large pot of water to 190 degrees
* When the temp reaches 190, turn off the heat, and add the bottles to the pot. Do not crowd the pot as this may lower the temp of the water to much
* Put lid on pot and let sit for 10 minutes
* After 10 minutes, carefully remove bottles and let cool.
* If you have many bottles to do...start back at the top again and do it all over again. :)
* Once the bottles have cooled, return them to the fridge and live a worry free, root beer blessed life. :)

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I assume they should also be shelf stable without refrigeration. Just try to keep them in a cool dark place?

If I can get my hands on some wintergreen leaves I'll be mixing up a batch of your newer recipie and will be trying to pasturize it. I can find spearmint and peppermint all day but no wintergreen.

Yes, after you pasteurize it, it should be shelf stable. Pasteurization, kills the yeast. No yeast, no CO2. No CO2, no glass bottles going BOOM! ;) Let me know how it turns. I'd love to know. Just dont make the same mistakes I have. By that I mean, dont have your first batches be 5 gallons...lol It's breaks my heart when something goes wrong and I have to dump it all. But most importantly, have fun with it and if something doesnt turn out, dont let it discourage you. I havent made a ton of batches, but I have had to throw out a few of them. You just have to turn it into a learning experience. :)

If I can get my hands on some wintergreen leaves I'll be mixing up a batch of your newer recipie and will be trying to pasturize it.

Can you please post the newer recipe? I'd like to Convert the recipe measurements to weight, for accuracy.

I have been reviewing the forums for a while, but just joined so I could add my thanks for the recipe as well as ask a (possibly total newbie) question.

I have a keg system to force carbonate. Is the yeast still required? I am assuming not. Since the yeast eat the sugar, should I reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe?

So far I have tried 2 batches from a different recipe and homemade ginger bug for carbonation and they both turned out horrible :mad:

I currently have a batch made with extract and it is barely tolerable.

Crazy8's recipe is getting good reviews. The goal has always been to brew my own from raw ingredients and this looks like a great place to start.

Welcome to the forum WonderMellon. I personally don't have any experience with force carb systems, maybe one day, but I have been asked this question before. Perhaps someone more experienced might be able to answer this for you. :)

Welcome again to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here and that you are able to come up with a good batch of root beer.

WonderMellon,
You do not need the yeast if you're force carbonating. You can decrease the sugar, but that's up to you. Add sugar to taste and you'll be ok.

Back