Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilotpip

Reaction score
I have recently aquired a nice old fridge that has more than enough room for a carboy (maybe 2) and decided it would be my fermentation fridge. I need a temperature controller for it but I'm trying to decide which direction to go.

I have no desire to lager at this point. Just make better ales. I don't have a desire to make one, I'd rather just spend the extra $40-60 on one since I don't have to build a chamber as I had budgeted for. Just need opinions on the different models out there.

I know the Analog doesn't have the adjustable temp differential and has a little bigger swing in temp but does this really matter? It takes a lot of energy to raise or lower the temperature of 5 gallons of fluid. Any particular brand choice better? My basement stays in the mid to high sixties in the winter so I'm not sure I need one that can be used with both coolers and heaters but might like the option.

Thanks for the insight.

What I suggest is picking up a 110V STC-1000 unit off ebay and installing either in an external box, or better yet, directly into the door or side. They can heat and cool at the same time for when the temp fluctuates a lot and are small and cheap. I've seen them going for under $25 often.

The only downside is that they only display in Celsius. But it's quite easy to print out a conversion table to refer to.

Cool. Thanks. In my line of work I have to use degrees communist all the time. I'll look into that.

Back