Fermentation stopped too early??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
I posted this in the recipe section but haven't received any feedback. On Saturday evening I drained my oatmeal stout into a 6.5 gallon carboy around 9p.m. at about half full I stopped and gave the carboy a good skaking for aeration. I finished filling it and then pitched my yeast starter on top then gave it another good shake to get it nice and mixed up. By 10a.m. the next morning I had a good fermentation going with steady bubbles coming from the airlock. As of yesterday the activity has slowed significantly and I never really got as high a level of krausen as I have seen in some of the pictures on here.

Should I give the carboy another good shaking to suspend the yeast some more as well as aerate or just let it sit? My efficiency was about 75% this time around which is a great improvement on my first batch that was about 55%. The OG was 1.045 and pre-boil was about 1.035 boiling from 7 gallons to around 5.5. Does anybody have any suggestions or is this typical of an oatmeal stout?:confused:

Have you taken any more SG readings? That's really the only way to know if it is done or stalled. Airlock activity is a poor gauge for fermentation status. I would avoid shaking at this point - if you do need to resuspend the yeast, a gentle swirling would be safer.

Thanks...I'll take a reading this evening when I get home and see where it is. Is it fair to say that a 75% drop in gravity is a good indicator that it's near done

You're looking at yeast attenuation %s....as far as what is expected, that would depend on the strain of yeast pitched and fermentation conditions. For many yeasts, 75% attenuation would be pretty good. A consistent reading over a few days is the best indication that fermentation has completed.

Well OG was 1.045 and currently I'm sitting at 1.020 so I'm looking at about 55% attenuation right now. Hopefully it will improve over the next couple of days and I'll get closer to 65%...time will tell.

Back