Covering my bases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty

Reaction score
I have a 10/3 220v line originally ran to my garage for an air compressor. Would i be able to run an electric HLT and Boil Kettle with a 5500W 240V element. My neighbor is an electrician and he said 10/3 will handle 30A. Just wanting to make sure that im going to be able to do what i need with what i have.

Will probably use an infinite switch as money is a consideration and im not sure im comfortable assembling a very high tech control panel. Probably have my buddy help and make it as simple as possible. Any help or links to a "analog" set up would be helpful and appreciated.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Don't think you would be able to run a HLT and the boil kettle at the same time. you can run one other other but not both at the same time. I have a 5500 wattt hlt and a 5500 watt bk i run off of the dryer plug, but i can only run 1 at a time.as for a simple control panel. A pid, 1 ssr and a plug is all you need and could easily make one. lots of info out here

You're not going to be able to find a infinite switch capable of handling the loads that you neeed. That said, I believe a pid (search here) with a Solid State Relay (SSR) or the BCS-460 by embedded control concepts with a SSR is the easiest way to go.

PID cheaper if all you want to control is one thing at a time. If you want to also control ferm chambers, kegerator, other items for your righ, the BCS is the way to go.

Just my .02

:mug:

BF I was sure with the size of wire i wouldnt be able to control both. Would be to much for it and i dont want to burn down my house.

Cyberpacker A Pid may be simpler. May have to check on Ebay and try to find plans for a simple control panel. If you know of any good threads i would help.

Thanks for the advice

Rock Chalk

Chris

Check out this thread to start: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-wire-pid-ssr-e-kettle-hlt-131562/

For a box, since you will just a have a pid/ssr any small box will work like a junction box, electric project box from rad shack, etc.

If that isn't detailed enough, do this as a google search to get lots more to read:

"how to wire a pid site:homebrewtalk.com" ;)

Good luck.

:mug:

Thats exactly what im looking for. Sent Ornagevang a PM to see if he ended up with a diagram.

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

You're not going to be able to find a infinite switch capable of handling the loads that you neeed.

Even if you did, it wouldn't work like you wanted it to for a boil.

It works on an electric range because when the switch shuts off the element, there is still a ton of heat in the burner that will continue to heat the pot on top of it.

With an immersed element, you have incredibly efficient heat transfer from element to fluid. When the element shuts off, heat in the element is almost instantly pulled away. You would end up with a pulsating boil if you tried to use an infinite switch to control a boil kettle.

The PIDs w/ manual mode or a pulse width modulator driving an SSR are able to pull it off because they are rapidly cycling the element on and off.

Back