First time kegger, long time beer lover!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
Well today is the day, I am going to keg the porter I have had fermenting for 3 weeks, problem is, I am not as in tuned with the kegging process as I would like to be.

I have filled CO2 tank, Keg and am ready to go!

So this is what I think I should do, let me know if I am thinking right:

Clean Keg, Purge Air, Fill with beer, set at 10-12 @ 42-45 degrees (will need to double check in beersmith) and sit for a few days.

This article laid it out well (http://www.beersmith.com/kegging_basics.htm)

Any tips, tricks, etc????

Sounds fine. Just make sure you are really clean and sanitized.

I used to purge my kegs before filling, but now I just dump the iodophor out, and let them sit upside down, with the lid off, in the solution until I am ready to fill.

I have not noticed a difference in flavour, and it saves on CO2.

I figure the beer displaces most of the air, and then I just seal and purge a few times.

Sometimes, I will let the pressure off after that, and let it sit for a week outside the fridge, prior to carbonating.

Sounds fine. Just make sure you are really clean and sanitized.

I used to purge my kegs before filling, but now I just dump the iodophor out, and let them sit upside down, with the lid off, in the solution until I am ready to fill.

I have not noticed a difference in flavour, and it saves on CO2.

I figure the beer displaces most of the air, and then I just seal and purge a few times.

Sometimes, I will let the pressure off after that, and let it sit for a week outside the fridge, prior to carbonating.

I plan on force carbing, I can just do that in the fridge right?? No need to carb naturally?

Your force carbing specs seem fine.

When I want it carbed faster, I put the regulator at 30psi for a couple days, with the keg in the fridge.

After that I drop to around 12-15 psi, depending upon how it's pouring.

Awesome!

And another newb question, that I feel dumb for asking, but will anyways, I plan on placing this in my fridge cause it is all I have and I can temp regulate it....placing CO2 bottle in fridge is perfectly fine, correct??

I've tried the 30 psi trick a few times...it is extremely easy to overcarb.

I would say wait 2-3 days before pulling a sample. I typically push 20psi on day 1, and then let it drop down to 10-12psi for the following days (right around 38-40 deg).

Of course, the longer you let it hang out in the keg, the better the beer tastes as it smooths itself out. Waiting can be tough...

Back