Valentines conundrum...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, VD is nearing, and although I loathe doing something on VD just to say I did something, I really do want to do something special for the wife. I'm not always attentive and romantic as I should, but it simply sounds wrong to me to get flowers or candy or PJs or what have you, just because everybody else is going to do something. I don't think that's the way it ought to be.

So I'd like to do something, but not on Valentines Day something. But of course if I don't do something, I seem like an uncaring jerk, who couldn't even make an effort on VALENTINES DAY of all days!

So I got to think of something. Normally we've gone to Traverse City or somewhere for a romantic getaway and spend some income tax refund or hit the TC Winter Festival. But this year we have a stupid Band Boosters Carnival to work at, so that's out the friggin window (anyone notice a slight bit of hostility about this??)

Flowers are out, Chocolates are out. Teddy bears are out. Pajamas are out (but not necessarily lingeries...)

I may have to see if there is a nice restaurant that we can go to on Sunday, either in TC or GR. I'd suggest someplace like Founders, but I fear that such a suggestion will likely lead to something other than a romantic evening...

Someone out there HAS to be in the same boat!! What am I gonna do??

I like to get my wife's input for what she'd like to do/receive on VD. She receives flowers on a semi-regular basis, doesn't care much for chocolates....
The conversation usually goes something like this

me - Any idea what you'd like for VD?
her - I don't know. what do you think?
me - I was thinking of getting a sitter, then going to dinner @ (then list a few restaurants), and then a drink after dinner

this allows her to choose. I show I've put some thought and effort, and actually value her opinion.

If you're unwilling to do this, I'd suggest EF.:p

If you wife is into spa-ing, a full day spa is always a good choice.

Another on is a complete house cleaning from professionals. Clean windows, carpet, floors, base boards, etc are something that everyone who lives in the house benefits from but no one likes to do. It's romantic because you have thought of a nice way to make her life easier. It needs to be explained so it doesn't look like you are criticizing her cleaning, only making things nice for her.

Oh yea, a nice dinner out after the event is mandatory.

Just plan the Valentines Day weekend for the following weekend and go out to eat somewhere decent on the 14th.

Thanks, IP. I should probably think of something like that. I'm a bit disappointed because of the Traverse City Winter Brews and Music Festival that we had such a great time at last year. We're busy this year. So I think anything else would pale in comparison.

And I'd really like to hit a brewpub that I haven't been to before, like Shorts or Jolly Pumpkin in TC area. But I think that suggesting that would be like asking for a BJ on HER birthday!

And the rest of you guys... GROW UP! :p

(Except Nurmey, who posted while I typed...)

VD is an interesting abreviation choice. Don't go out on the 14th. Horrible crowds. No fun. Cook? Go out a diffrent night, but not the 14th. Or the wekkend near for that matter.

VD is an interesting abreviation choice. Don't go out on the 14th. Horrible crowds. No fun. Cook? Go out a diffrent night, but not the 14th. Or the wekkend near for that matter.

Totally agree. Most nice restaurants switch to a fixed menu for VD and up the price. Not worth it. Go the day before, day after or the weekend after and have a nice dinner in an uncrowded atmosphere.

Yeah, we're going out on Saturday instead of waiting until Monday. Her mother is coming into town for the weekend (not staying at the house, one time I'm glad to live in a small house without a guest room), so we'll have babysitting for the evening. Hitting up a new Vietnamese joint that just opened.

I am taking the wife to a nice quiet dinner at a small out of the way Italian place, great food, great wine, then later I am gonna give her a blinky, just to show her I care!

First: EF if hilarious. Thanks for linking, 2ndstage.

Second: what is something wifey likes to do, but doesn't get to do often? Or a place she likes to go, but doesn't get to go often? When you know what that is, do it for VD. Or do one of her chores for a day/week/however long you can handle it without going insane.

Ended up taking her out to dinner at a nice place last night. Was going to give a massage too, but she decided to lock herself in the family room with Dexter, and after listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra for a bit, I went to bed.

Then woke up at midnight having to get sick. Then went back to bed and tried to go to sleep but got up again at 1 to get sick some more. What a waste of a nice piece of Prime Rib and a Founders Imperial Stout!

Maybe massage tonight. They are a bit of work, but she likes then I always do too...

I have both made dinner and taken her out for dinner in the past. It seems more meaningful when I make it at home and it comes out better. Last year I took her out instead and dropped a lot of cash on some really bad food that I could have made ten times better at home.

Long story short, I made her dinner at home this year. I grilled some rib eyes with hickory chips, steamed some crab legs, and cajun flash fried some lobster tails. I got some good bread and asparagus. And of course the usual: cards, flowers, candy. Threw in a gift cert for a 90 minute massage.

In return after dinner I got my own massage, card, and Black IPA kit from NB with some star san, and other goodies. Oh how I love a happy ending!

Hmm... That Dexter is making my wife come to bed too late. I had the furnace all cranked up and ready to heat up some massage oil, and there she is with the fmaily room door shut watching more of that show. Then she got mad because the kids' rooms were so hot they couldn't get to sleep.

I can't win.

Back