Beer won't stop producing gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdp07d

Reaction score
I made a Belgian strong ale 2 weeks ago. It was made with wlp570 and has been fermenting at a constant 68 degrees. I transferred it to the secondary after a week in the primary since fermentation appeared to have stopped. When i measured the gravity during the transfer it was only 1.030. The beer started at 1.068. Today, I measured the gravity again. It's still 1.030 after a week. I am getting a bubble every 5 seconds and there is a lot of foam at the top of the beer. Is there a way to get fermentation going again? Or is it infected since it won't stop bubbling?

Why did you transfer a beer when it wasnt close to being done?
Thats a BIG no-no

If there is foam its probably still fermenting, warm it up about 10 degrees and let it finish.

A week at 1.030, a layer of foam, and bubbling.

Sounds neither like fermentation nor infection.

More like off gassing and a high protein beer.

I had a Belgian bubble for months while in the secondary. It was not infected. Don't worry about bubbles. What you need to worry about is your underattenuated beer and get that yeast woke up and moving again. I use a heating pad on Belgians to accomplish this, either by placing the carboy directly on the pad or by putting it in a cardboard box with the carboy. Placing the carboy on edge and rolling it around the floor would also help but be careful not to splash the beer.

Unfortunately, you wracked it off of a lot of yeast before you should have. Do not ever rack out of primary after a week. The recent trend is to wait at least 3 weeks or more if the OG is over 1.060.

Belgian strains are notorious for taking a long time to fully attenuate. I have a light golden belgian ale that I had an OG of 1.045 and I pitched chimay yeast onto it 12 days days ago, fermentation is still going strong with this one, I will likely have to wait at least 3 weeks for it to finish.

I found the key to getting good attenuation out of many of my beers is to allow the first 3-7 days of fermentation to go at normal temperatures, then when it starts to slow a little, shake the fermenter or even stir it up and increast the temp near the maximum range of the strain you are using.

For a belgian ale, i would rouse the yeast and increase temp to 75 degrees.

After raising the temperature slowly over 2 days and allowing the beer to sit at 75 degrees for 4 more days, I then brought it up to above 78 (highest my fermentation strip thermometer goes). The specific gravity reading is still 1.030. It formed a huge krausen for the first 5 days after i began raising the temperature but has receded since then. It looks cloudy, but that could be the half pound of wheat in the recipe. Should I buy more yeast? I mashed at 148 to encourage fermentables. It has been fermenting a total of 3 weeks now.

Sine it is most of the way through the fermentation, you can pitch a dry yeast to attenuate it quickly without losing the Belgian esters. That's what I would do.

I made a belgian golden strong recently that took six months to finish. Just the way it is.

Your temp is a bit cool for a belgian. As for racking after two weeks, that's fine, there is plenty of yeast in suspension and you pull it off the trub.

I say just leave it and try to warm it up a bit.

Cheers,
Scott

A few thoughts....

Thought one: Set it aside, forget about it, come back in three months. It will be fine.

Thought two: take an sg reading of 65f water just to make sure tools are working right.

Thought three: Too much starch in the wort. Maybe you didn't get full conversion and have a huge amount of unfermentabes.

Thought four: if it doesn't smell/taste infected see thought 1.

Back