High Tannins - black tea mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided randomy to make an english breakfast tea mead, and in the end, all it tastes like is sort of a sour puckering feeling that I assume is tannins from the tea.

Ok, so a bit of a mistake, but it's still young - only a month and a half or so.

I'm planning on aging a few more months in the carboy before I even think of worrying about it, but to be prepared - what are some methods to combat this?

It's only slightly dryer than I wanted it, so I will likely backsweeten. Should that balance it out a little?

What else should I be thinking of?

Sorry, I don't have much to offer, but could you post your recipe? I've been thinking of doing a tea mead for a while and haven't gotten around to it.

Do you think you used too much tea?

Thanks,

I steeped 20 bags of english breakfast tea and 20 bags of regular lipton tea in ~2.5g of water. Once i took the bags out and let the water cool to about 130 or so, I put in 12# of honey and mixed, then topped up to ~5g with some cool water.

I think I used 1118 yeast, but it could be cotes de blanc, I don't remember which one I used for this mead since I did 3 that day.

you left the tea in for the whole time?? go leave a tea bag in water for a week then taste it...... you should have made tea.. and added it in. or left the tea bags in for like a day MAX... and i should have told you this, since I was there when you made it... ooops!

I've never used tea, but I've added powdered tannin as well as oak and in a year or two, the tannins mellowed considerably. I would assume the same would be true of the tea, but of course I could be wrong.

I think it should be much better in 6 months, and sweetened might help appreciably.

Back