Yeast ring or someting sinister?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamstonBrew

Reaction score
Well, admittedly "yeast ring" already kind of sounds sinister, like some sort of rash or something you'd catch off a high school gym mat. Yuk. But, here's my question...

I recently brewed up this recipe right off this forum. Looks delicious. The link goes to my seriously overly-detailed brewing log, but hey I am a detail-oriented guy.

It's been bubbling happily for a week as of today. One bubble every 10 seconds for the past 4-5 days. I can actually hear it fizzing faintly when I press my ear against the carboy.

This is only my second batch ever brewed, but of course I am curious about every little detail. Over the past few days a mysterious white cloudy irregular ring has formed just millimeters below the surface of the beer. Here are some pics:

inquestion1.JPG

Hmm...

inquestion2.JPG

Any thoughts ye brewing masters? Infection? Yeast? OTHER? Mysterious alien beer-loving life form from an internal dimension opened through violent fermenting action!?

first off that definitely looks like yeast. Glass in general due to microscopic scratches from how its made or otherwise let yeast and other things (in o chem- crystalization etc) cling to it. In this case I'm guessing due to massive head formation from wheat based heffs, the head took up a small amt of liquid in the form of bubbles causing the level in the carboy to lower briefly until your krausen fell. This lowering was to the level that you see the yeast ring and all that happened was that the yeast are adhering themselves to the glass. Not to worry thats a good looking brew

Sweet, thanks for the scientific reply I really appreciate that. Such a fascinating hobby. This batch just won't stop bubbling; it's crazy! Not that I am complaining. Can't wait to see what it tastes like!

You will be shocked at the surfaces yeast sediment can cling to. I re-use Redhook bottles that have a slight indentation in the middle. I always have to brush them because the yeast sediment piles up on that indentation. Looks exactly like your photos. You are fine.

Back