Dogfish 120 help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Okay so im going to attempt this brew....

I have this great recipe - Homebrew Chef: 120 Minute IPA Clone Recipe

I can only make 5 gallons at a time though, so would it be appropriate to just cut everything in half?

I assume, however, that this would completely change the decoction levels and temps and it would mean I would use less yeast too?

Maybe someone who has already done this can help me with the numbers?

Also - there is no added sugar for bottling/ carbonation? - there is just already enough residual sugars in there to take care of itself?

Thanks for any help!

As far as carbonation goes, I wouldn't count on beer yeast being able to carbonate a beer in 18-20% ABV range. I think you would have to force carbonate this in a keg.

Edit: After looking over the recipe I think you could do without the complex step mash and just go with a single infusion. It looks as if the original brewer didn't carbonate his at all, however the real 120 is carbonated which I think you could only do through force carbonation.

As far as carbonation goes, I wouldn't count on beer yeast being able to carbonate a beer in 18-20% ABV range. I think you would have to force carbonate this in a keg.

Edit: After looking over the recipe I think you could do without the complex step mash and just go with a single infusion. It looks as if the original brewer didn't carbonate his at all, however the real 120 is carbonated which I think you could only do through force carbonation.

DFH 120 is bottle carbed...although admittedly not much carbonation there.

I'm not a hoppy guy and quite frankly the Dogfish 120 scares me. My buddy made this - The Key Largo Brewery » Continuity - and says it is most good. He's been doing it for a while and I trust his opinion. Your mileage may vary. Give it a shot.

Mahalo,
-DaG

I'm not a hoppy guy and quite frankly the Dogfish 120 scares me. My buddy made this - The Key Largo Brewery » Continuity - and says it is most good. He's been doing it for a while and I trust his opinion. Your mileage may vary. Give it a shot.

Mahalo,
-DaG

Don't fear the hops in DFH 120, you will be so overwhelmed by the pineapple juice sweetness of 120 that you forget about the hops.

Don't fear the hops in DFH 120, you will be so overwhelmed by the pineapple juice sweetness of 120 that you forget about the hops.

Actually, after a few sips, you'll pretty much forget about everything!

Latest posts

Back