Priming with DME?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwedel

Reaction score
I have read in these forums that using DME insted of Priming sugar produces a better beer. One should use 1.5 cups of DME in 2 cups of water and it should be boiled for 15 minutes then cooled before adding the mixture to the priming bucket.

What type of DME should be used? Do you match the beers style or simply use a light DME for everything?

I wouldnt say it produces a better beer, but yes it can be done. I would say regular light DME would work fine.

I don't know about better beer either since that's such a subjective term. It will make a beer that's compliant with the Reinheitsgebot though. And that's kinda cool. I've also heard that it produces finer carbonation (smaller bubbles) though I don't know that to be true.

I have primed with both DME and corn sugar before and I will say that it seems to take longer for the beer primed with DME to come to full perssure then the ones primed with corn sugar.

i've noticed that i seem to get more sediment at the bottom of my bottles when i prime with DME, than when i use dextrose.

anyone else have similar experience?

Back