First Brew Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
OK, I am ready to do my first brew on Saturday and have planned it with some great advice from this site. Here is my plan, any final advice would be awsome.

Starting with Coopers Lager Kit

1. Clean all items with warm water
2. Place all items in fermentor, add ½ cup unscented bleach and fill fermenter with cool water. Sanitize lid separately and cover fermenter with lid loosly and let sit for ½ hr. Reserve some sanitizer for airlock and other uses.
2a) Boil some water to rinse above items and after ½ hour rinse.
2b) Items not used in yeast proofing leave in fermenter and cover to avoid air contact. Cover hole with saran wrap.
3. Proof yeast per below, use thermometer and spoon sanitized above.
Re-hydrating Dry Yeast
1. Put 1 cup of warm (95-105F, 35-40C) boiled water into a sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with Saran Wrap and wait 15 minutes.
2. "Proof" the yeast by adding one teaspoon of extract or sugar that has been boiled in a small amount of water. Allow the sugar solution to cool before adding it to the jar.
3. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight.
4. After 30 minutes or so the yeast should be visibly churning and/or foaming, and is ready to pitch.
4. Bring 2 litres of water to boil.
4a) Empty contents of kit can into fermenter and add 2 litres of boiling water, reserve some boiling water to rinse out kit can. Add 1 Kg DME. Stir with sanitized spoon until all dissolved.
4b) After contents dissolved fill to the 23 litre mark on the fermenter using combinations of hot/cold water until 21 degrees achieved. Add water in agitating manner to promote ogygen into wort.
4c) Take Original Gravity (pre-fermentation) reading and record (before yeast is added)
5) Pitch (add) yeast into fermenter and gently agitate to mix throughout. Ensure yeast is aprox the same temp as the wort.
6) Cover fermenter with lid tightly
6a) Wipe lid with paper towel wet with sanitizer
6b) Insert bung into lid (wet bung with sanitizer) and insert airlock into bung. Fill airlock ½ way to line with sanitizer and drop doohikee into airlock. Put top on airlock. Store fermenter in area about 21 Deg C no less.
7)After 2 weeks bottle.
7a) Boild 3/4 cup corn sugar with 2 cups water and let it cool.
7b) Add this to sanitized bottling bucket.
7c) Siphon beer into bottling bucket
7d) Fill bottles via bottling bucket spigot/hose (also sanitized) and cap
7e) Store for an additional 2 weeks minimum

Any issues here...I know long post. Whoever can take a few mins going over this would be GREATLY appretiated.

Dave

Dave, it looks to me like you've done your homework!

I'm certainly not the most qualified person on these boards to answer your post since my first batch is still in the primary fermentor!

however, I was a bit concerned about the amount of bleach that you are using...

According the The Joy Of Home Brewing 3rd edition.... you need only 1/3 to 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of bleach per 5 gallons of cold water to make an effective sanitizer.... he recommends a30 minute to 1 hour soak in this solution....

most of the folks here on the forum would recommend that you stay away from bleach as any residual chlorine can result in "off flavors" in your beer..... make sure you rinse everything very very well with hot water to remove all the chlorine.... after you are sure it is all rinsed clean, sniff it.... if you smell no chlorine, rinse it one more time to to be sure.... if you smell chlorine keep rinsing until you don't smell it... then rinse one more time just to be sure ;)

Aside from that, I think it looks straight up on par with everything I've read too... looks great... have fun and good luck!

That is WAYYYY too much bleach. I would recommend using something like StarSan in the future that is food safe and no-rinse. If you are going to use bleach, use it in the ammount stated in the revious post as that is the correct doseage.

Also, for rinsing, you CAN use HOT tap water. Papazian recommends it, and I used it for years and did not have a single infection. No need to boil your rinse water.

I'm paranoid about sanitizing stuff and rinsing afterwards. I've switched to drip-dry only after using iodophor since I've seen my tap, which doubles as a spray hose, fall into some gunky looking dishes in the sink before. Good enough to drink from, but not good enough to make me not paranoid!

Sounds like you're going to have some fun tomorrow!

2. "Proof" the yeast by adding one teaspoon of extract or sugar that has been boiled in a small amount of water. Allow the sugar solution to cool before adding it to the jar.

You certanly can do this, but I find it unneccessary. Some people even just sprinkle the dry yeast right on top and it works fine. I generally rehydrate it by boiling a cup or so of water, let it cool and let the yeast rehydrate. I stir it just before pitching. It'll save you some time.

+1 on the comments regarding bleach, and if you can, use something like StarSan.

Make sure you sanitize your bottles.

If you're using the Cooper's equipment kit, it should've come with carbonation tablets and you should be ok using those.

Starting with Coopers Lager Kit

7e) Store for an additional 2 weeks minimum

My only question is are you set up to lager. You'll need to store these bottles in a controlled temp enviroment.

You forgot the most imporant part!! RDWHAHB It's good you have a plan,but i guaranty it will no go as planned:D Relax,Brew the beer,then drink the beer:mug:

Thanks guys for all the great advice here. I will definately cut back on the bleach. As for your comments.....

-The Coopers kit did not come with tablets, so I will prime per above
-As for being setup to lager the answer is no....for now...however the kit says ferment between 21-28 Degrees and I am planning on just using room temp in my house which is about 20-21 Degrees.
-And yes I know it likely wont go to plan however I am one of those anal people that like having a plan to avoid any major disasters :)

Thanks Guys !!

Dave

Thanks guys and gals......Bahhhh....cant do it Saturday, gotta work overtime now. Guess I cant complain, lotsa people not even getting straight time now.

Oh well...brew day now Sunday !

You certanly can do this, but I find it unneccessary. Some people even just sprinkle the dry yeast right on top and it works fine. I generally rehydrate it by boiling a cup or so of water, let it cool and let the yeast rehydrate. I stir it just before pitching. It'll save you some time.

I agree. I have never "proofed" the yeast by adding any sugar.. Just rehydrate in some warm water for 15 min or so and cover with the saran.. :mug:

Latest posts

Back