Hole in mash tun need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
I have just made a mash tun from a cooler but i slipped and my wrench hit the side of the cooler and made a very tiny crack. I filled it with water and it has a very small air bubble coming out every 10 sec or so. I wanted to know how to fill this small hole. Would glue work? or will that mess with the flavor of the beer?

Food grade silicone maybe? You might be able to melt it with a lighter and get it to seal back up, but that's probably going to be hard to do without scorching it.

Depending on where the crack is, you could drill it out big enough to put in a stopper, then drill a hole through the stopper and feed a temperature probe through it. That way you can monitor the mash temperature without opening the lid. Kind of like this:

03-Recirc Pump.jpg

It's tricky getting silicone to bond to plastic, I have had better luck if I scuff up the area a bit w/ sandpaper prior to applying the silicone.

Back