Deal on 9 gallon stainless kettle at William's Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I got this in their newsletter today.

9 gallon stainless brew kettle with ball valve & lid for $59.90.

Pretty cool for those doing 5 gallon batches.

Q59.jpg

36 QUART STAINLESS TANK WITH VALVE @ Williams Brewing

I have that very kettle. Works great! Watch out for boil overs.

I was wondering about that, my other question, from their website-

"has a 1/4" lip on the bottom of the tank which makes it unusable on electric stoves."

Considering my electric element is about 9 1/2'' round and raised about 1/2'' from the cook top, it seems the 12.25'' kettle with 1/4'' rim should work alright... Anyone use this on stove top (apt can't do propane anywhere..)?

I used it twice on a gas stovetop, and it worked ok. I can't answer your question specifically, but I will offer that the height of the kettle makes it difficult to use if you have a range hood or microwave above the burners.

A bit of amplifying info from my post above: since it is so narrow, the kettle is prone to boil over, even with only 4 gallons in it. It's not a huge issue, but you have to keep an eye on it.

I use mine for decoction mashing now. It makes a great vessel for boiling a few gallons of the mash for a 10-15 gallon batch.

No handles? Moving it over to the sink for the IC will be a little scary.

I've never onced moved a boiling kettle full of wort, and I never will. I put the chiller in the wort during the boil, so that the chiller is sanitized, then turn on the water. I would recommend finding a way to not move a kettle of boiling wort- that's very dangerous.

Back