how many types of beer to you keep on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakypete

Reaction score
I was just curious to see what all your preferences were. How many types of beer to you keep on hand at one time when you brew? Right now I have a keg of my summer wheat, about a case and a half of my irish red, some hard apple cider, and a couple pale ales left. I just ordered some supplies to make a porter a few minutes ago.

Also, how fast do you go through a batch of beer?

I was just curious to see what all your preferences were. How many types of beer to you keep on hand at one time when you brew? Right now I have a keg of my summer wheat, about a case and a half of my irish red, some hard apple cider, and a couple pale ales left. I just ordered some supplies to make a porter a few minutes ago.

Also, how fast do you go through a batch of beer?

I try to brew something different everytime. I want to make all of the styles just to give myself the notes for the future. I have repeated a few times with certain beers, for ex: I have brewed 5 or 6 hefes. Eventually when I get all the notes compiled i'll start over and just keep the ones I liked the best on hand. Right now I have a Amber Ale, A Hefe, a Schwarzbier and a Ipa, This weekend Im going to brew my first cream and my first wit bier. I usually go through a keg in about 3-4 weeks. However I have a 1 liter beer mug that sucks the beer out fast.

Being a newbie, I only have two different types on hand at any given time. I'm working on three types but I just don't have the time to brew quick enough or the restraint to slow my consumption down.

I like to keep 3 on tap - Usually lighter drinkers these days for the summer weather, but i also have 5-6 different batches bottled, and a few more in kegs conditioning. I agree with RICLARK with wanting to do all the different styles, and redoing the ones I really enjoy while honing recipies, but I have also been trying to keep beers somewhat seasonal and within the grains and hops I have in stock. For example; Currently I have a good supply of pales and american wheats around, and plan on doing a few more for these summer months, but I also have some stouts, RIS's, and a rye conditioning to break out when th weather starts getting a bit cooler.

Given that I brew a healthy mix of "drink now" and "lay down" styles, my Current Beers menu is always about a page long. I've got 6 taps going at any given time (see my signature), with, oh, probably 12 full cases a various 12'oz bottles and 10 cases of large-format bottles. I've got some brews that are a couple years old (Barleywine, Spruce Porter, etc.), and some that are relatively new. It's a pretty good mix, I think.

I usually try to keep something for every mood around and on tap. Most commonly though i have on tap or bottled a:

British Bitter
Scottish 80
an IPA or Pale Ale
IIPA or Barley wine
and a stout variation or a smoked porter

Usually i just keep the same things on tap cause i've found what i really like, But usually try to have 1 or 2 lying around of something new just for fun.

Well, I never brew two things exactly alike so I typically have a plethora of beer styles laying around. I guess not that many though. I have 4 kegs, but I only dispense three at a time. Then I typically have 2-3 different types of beers in bottles, and I keep a small collection of micros in the garage fridge. So I guess somewhere around 10 different styles of beer on hand.

Back