Copper pipe/fittings in brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone considered using all copper parts and pipe between the HLT, MLT, brew pot, and/or pump in their brewing stands? I was just puttering around on the internet and found 1/4 turn ball valves for 1/4 to 1/3 the price of SS. There are all sorts of fittings and pipe at Home Depot.

Most of us use copper wort chillers and fittings inside the tun and brew pot. As long as non-lead solder is used, I can't see why not.

Corrosion can't be an issue. Even if someone wanted to be "hospital" clean, they'd only have to run a little Star San through the system once in a while to make everything shiny again. Could dissimilar metals at the union between SS and copper be a problem?

I'm thinking it would be a pretty solid system and a heckuva lot cheaper.

Comments, anyone?

Any way you could post a link to the site where you found the copper fittings? I see plenty of stainless and brass fittings, but haven't had much luck with copper.

The only problem I could see with using copper over stainless is that it is a much better conductor of heat. So the pipes may become hotter to the touch than stainless....but that really isn't an issue for me. There may be other reasons, but my simple mind cant come up with them.

Here's one link. All sorts of copper valves and fittings.
http://www.plumbingfittingsdirect.com/?gclid=CIjP3_jSmIMCFQpuDgodp0b3Lg

Yeah, the copper would conduct heat faster. But then, it would cool down faster afterwards.

Hot metal is going to burn you no matter what it's made of. I figured I would insulate the lines to keep the heat in during the transfer. Should also help keep me from burning the crap out of my hands or arms. :D

I don't understand why it could be that bad, providing you use the correct solder. If you are running your wort through a 50' counterflow chiller, which is copper, then what is a couple more feet. I haven't started plumbing my rig, though, so I can't give any realworld examples.

Hmmm... may have been wrong about the copper ball valves. I was just looking at that link I posted and they don't actually say they are copper. I found another site that has "forged brass" valves that are the same color, so I'm wondering if the other might be too.

Guess I'll have to keep looking.

I've worked around a lot of plumbing components and I've never seen copper valves. People have built plenty of breweries though using copper tubing and brass valves and it's definitely much cheaper... just be cautious with the brass components and the solder.

http://www.jackieboybrewing.com

What about the claims that brass gives "off" flavors to beer that passes over it? I thought that was the whole reason that brewers favor SS over brass.

The main reason I brought this up was the huge cost difference. Three SS valves = $45-70. Three brass/bronze (assuming there is no copper) valves = $12-15. I don't look at the savings as money I keep in my wallet. I look at it as at least $30 I can put toward some other brewing goodie.

So Nate, what are the valves I've seen soldered to copper pipe? Are they all brass or bronze?

By the way, is that your system on that link you posted? Looks pretty complicated, but very nice.

Yeah, there are definitely concerns regarding the lead content in brass... but the level of concern seems to vary with whatever source you're reading at the time. Stainless is definitely the best way to go but, as everyone knows, it is more expensive. Below is a link that briefly discusses treating brass... there are plenty of other sources on the net which also discuss it.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

I'm fairly certain that most of the copper colored valves that you see in home breweries are brass. And yes the link in my previous post is my home brewery. Just FYI, if I had to do it over again, I'd still go all stainless but I'd probably use manual controls. The control system is nice but it was a large cost and time component... and it takes away some of the "fun". lol.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. :)

http://www.jackieboybrewing.com

Where did you obtain the SS tube, what are the specs (wall thickness, grade of SS), and how did you bend it?

Also, what types of fittings did you use to join the tube to the valves and pump? They look like compression fittings.

I obtained the tubing locally and I believe it's .035 wall thickness and 304 stainless (I'd have to look at it again to verify). I ordered the tube bender online and bent all the tubing myself. The compression fittings are all Parkers... I prefer Swagelok but you can get Parkers on eBay much cheaper. The compression fittings are great because you can disassemble/reassemble the whole thing quickly and easily.

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the compression fittings for the same reason you mentioned.

In what type of local shop did you find the tube? I just need a general place to start looking. Home Depot won't have it. Also, please post a link to the tubing bender you mentioned getting online, if you don't mind. :)

I'd check any local plumbing supply shops near you to see if they can order tubing. I purchased mine from an authorized Swagelok dealer but I suspect the right plumbing supply shop might be cheaper. The tube bender I used is an Imperial that I purchased at Sears and you can find it online with them... it's not the best I've used but it works. I'd definitely check eBay because I saw a lot of tube benders there going pretty cheap.

Most all of the valves used on copper plumbing are of brass. I have never seen a copper valve. It is too soft to stand up to the stress a valve takes.
Anchor Steam Beer Co. used to use all copper brewing kettles imported from Germany when Fritz Maytag took over in the 1970's. Don' know if they still do.

Good to know. It looks like the basic choices for a rigid system are all SS or maybe SS valves/fittings and copper tube. I don't know that the latter would be worth the cost savings, but I haven't checked the price of SS tube yet.

Hey... had to put the idea out there. I feel better for trying. :D

I work in the oil and gas industry and we use SS tubing a lot we pick it up at most industrial supply houses. Wilson supply, national supply, etc.. and it is sold in 20 ft sticks or in rolls.:( :)

DrewsBrews said:
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the compression fittings for the same reason you mentioned.

In what type of local shop did you find the tube? I just need a general place to start looking. Home Depot won't have it. Also, please post a link to the tubing bender you mentioned getting online, if you don't mind. :)

DrewsBrews, check Medical Supply houses. They stock ss tubing for the medical field. I was asking the same questions at my local HBS and they told me to go to a Medical Supply.

Hope this helps.

Back