Some very good websites on Cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of searching recently about planting cider apple trees. Thanks to a helpful link from gratus fermentatio, I found some other very good sites I thought I'd share. Even if you have seen them, I think its good to have this stuff in one place.

Craft Cider Making - Andrew Lea's site.
From what I've read, this guy is pretty much the John Palmer of the cider world. He also has a book called Craft Cider Making which I have on order.

Real Cider and Perry
This site has a lot of great info on sourcing cider apple cultivars and cider making in general. There is also some good info on building a mill and press.

Cider apple cultivars
This is the link gratus fermentatio sent me to. I haven't contacted the nursery, but it might be a good place to check if you are looking to start some sort of small orchard.

I've also ordered these books from Amazon:
Cider: Making, Using and Enjoying Sweet & Hard Cider
The Apple Grower: Guide for the organic orchardist (for the more adventurist looking to actually grow cider apples)

I'll post more as I find them. Feel free to add to the list!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Proulx/Lew book you have on order from Amazon is great about talking about tree spacing, size, climate, etc.

I think Ben Watson's book does a little better talking about varieties.

Andrew's website has an excellent list for Nurseries here in the States that carry cider tree stock.

Back