First time with star-san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
I've always used iodophor, and I've always loved the stuff. Due to the popularity of Star-San on this site, I picked up a small bottle of it. I just tried to sanitize my carboy with it. Now my carboy is full of bubbles that will not go away. What the crud. Now most of the carboy is sitting there partially filled with persistent foam bubbles, while the rest is exposed to the air. What do I do?

You don't fear the foam!!!1

You rack on top of it..

foam1.jpg

If you do a read through on the "similar threads" in the box below, you will see over and over and over the phrase "don't fear the foam."

The foam is good for the yeast.

Oh that reminds me I has some amazing starsan sculptures to upload from my phone....

Don't fear the foam, rack right onto it, and don't fret. I have been using Star-san since I started brewing and it is the bees knees!

Sometimes, I fill up the bathtub with Star-san and take a bubble bath...well not really, but the thought has crossed my mind!:rockin:

I just pour/drain out as much of the bubbles as I can in 10-20 seconds then I fill right on top of them. Basically ignore the bubbles.

Not to worry. The beer will dilute what small amount is there and it becomes food for the yeast. Don't fear the foam.

BTW, get a solid rubber stopper for your carboy. You only need about a quart to sanitize the carboy. Just make it coat the inside and drain. Takes just a couple of minutes and you are ready to rack beer into it.

Geez, I can't believe I'm that guy...I ask the same question that's been asked a million times before. Sorry about that...I'll be more diligent about using the search function. Thanks for the quick responses.

Geez, I can't believe I'm that guy...I ask the same question that's been asked a million times before. Sorry about that...I'll be more diligent about using the search function. Thanks for the quick responses.

don't feel bad! I mean, this is a forum! If we all stopped asking questions, then it wouldn't be a forum any more.

I love my star-san, but it is a little disconcerting to see all the foam the first time. Just think of it this way- the foam is "showing" you all the spots you might have missed, so it's a good thing to have all over inside the fermenter. You don't have to wonder if you missed a spot!

If the foam is still scary, it can be reduced by swirling a carboy or bottle after inverting it. This way a whirlpool is created and less foam is left after draining.

I already heard about the foam before I used SS and I was eager to see it! Now I try to make as much foam as I can! ( Ok, I actually mix my SS just a bit stronger than they say to...)

Back