Siphoning/Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markusface

Reaction score
I am currently on my second batch, a Muntons Mexican Cerveza and it's nearing the end of primary fermentation. I do not intend to rack to secondary, but straight to a keg for priming.
I want as little sediment as possible in the keg, and so i was contemplating using a filter around the output of my siphon, changing it periodically because naturally, it's gonna get clogged. But I had a thought that might hinder that plan... which brings me to my question...

Would using a filter inhibit carbonation in the keg when I prime? Would the yeast be entirely filtered out?

Muchly Appreciated :D

Markusface said:
I am currently on my second batch
There are ways to fillter most of the beer and then theres a way to filter it all then re-add a little yeast and suger. But my suggestion is to get your brewing process down first before worrying how to get your beer clearer.

Wild

Your beer will clear no matter what. Especially in a keg. Clear from yeast is no issue as it will settle to the bottom and be pumped out on the first and second beer. From there on out your beer will be clear.

Chill haze is a different story. You may see that your beer is hazy - this is not yeast it is enzymes in the malt you used reacting to the temp. It all depends on what ingredients you use. Some adjuncts like whirfloc can help clear your beer too. I would take the advice of Wild and button down your processes first then work on clarifying your beer.

The easiest solution now is to let the yeast settle.

ps Now you got me in a mood for a mexican cerveza! Sounds like a good beer for hot weather!

Good luck!

- WW

All the mucking about in your brew will cause you to either get an infection in your beer or cause you to oxidize your brew. Neither desireable.

Do a secondary if you have the capability and then rack to your keg. You can then add finnings to the secondary to clear the beer. Some people also cut 1/2 an inch off of the bottom of the out diptube to lessen the amount of sediment they start with. I don't do this. I just throw the first couple of pints away (sometimes) and then get clearer beer.
The main thing is to have patience and brew.

Cheers

Back