AZ tap water: chloramine, chlorine, etc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryojin

Reaction score
I've traditionally used store-bought spring water to brew, but I'd like to build a water filter hose attachment for future use. My question is, what do we need to worry about here in the Phoenix area in terms of water additives? Chlorine? Chloramine? Something else? I just want to make sure I purchase the correct type of filter for this. Thanks!

Call the water dept and ask them to send you a 'water quality' report. This will tell you how much/what chemicals are in your water - that's where you start. Then you can figure out what approach for filtering, treatment, etc.

FYI - unless you have very refined taste buds, or uniquely problematic water, most tap water will make a great beer

Are you dead set on building a filter or are you just looking for better quality water? I don't even worry about using the tap water out here. I used to filter it through a Brita or fridge filter, but even then the water out here sucks. I can get 40 gallons of RO water for less than $8.

Do you buy from the Glacier water machines? I been buying purified water gallons from sprouts. Thinking about buying distilled and adding what I need for each style

Yesterday we brewed a "kilt lifter" with a blend of RO water and treated park water (with campden tablet)12 hours before show time. Working away in controlled cabinet at 18.8c.

I second dfc. The water here sux for brewing. Go with RO or Spring from the store.

Are you dead set on building a filter or are you just looking for better quality water? I don't even worry about using the tap water out here. I used to filter it through a Brita or fridge filter, but even then the water out here sucks. I can get 40 gallons of RO water for less than $8.

Back