RV Water Heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterman35

Reaction score
I didn't see any past threads on this, and I kinda feel goofy asking, but I was curious if anyone has tried using of of them RV water heaters for filling a HLT? I know my step dad's Minnie-Winnie shower could nearly boil water on in just a few minutes, and it runs on propane.

You can ban me for life if this is the dumbest thing you ever heard.

The dumbest thing I ever heard of was a habanero enema kit, so I think you're safe on that front.

I use hot water from the tap too for my mash and sparge water, and it seems to me like not many people do. However, I think if you can get an RV water heater for really cheap, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The dumbest thing I ever heard of was a habanero enema kit, so I think you're safe on that front.

I use hot water from the tap too for my mash and sparge water, and it seems to me like not many people do. However, I think if you can get an RV water heater for really cheap, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

+1 on this....

Look around your area for a RV salvage yard. I wouldn't buy one new, but one out of a 5-10 year old wreck would be cheap. Some of the newer RVs have instantaneous heaters, which would be really great.

the reason using hot water isn't the best idea...is the amount of crap that builds up inside the water heater tank over the years/decades.

they are downright funky. granted you'll be boiling stuff, but its not uncommon for rusty water heaters to lend extra iron/other minerals to your hot tap water that the cold water line wouldn't have.

*shrugs*

I preheat my MLT with hot tap water, but the rest of my stuff is all cold tap, heated afterwards in the kettle.

If you use hot water from a water heater that has many gallons going through it every day you are not going to get "CRAP". You are getting water that has already been pre boiled and had the chlorine driven off. Many small micro brewers use industrial water heaters with a charcoal filter inline on the cold side for their mash. I see no problem with this as I have done this myself to save heating time and the beer is great.

Most of the RV water heaters are aluminum so rust should not be a problem, the main problem is convincing the thermostatic gas control valve to give hot enough water for mashing or sparging. Other problem is most of the heaters are in the 5 -8 gallon tank capacity range which could limit use to smaller batches.

Back