Lager bottle carbing temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
This is a PM Marzen. It is fermented out and I just primed and bottled with a slightly undershot amount of dextrose.

I was going to carb at normal temps, and then lager until the end of winter, and then store in the basement @65F until Sept.

Sound OK? Or should I let it carb at more like 52F?

With the long ageing, I figure it will carb regardless(that is also why I undershot the carbing sugar, I have found that my imperial stouts would almost have carbed with no primer after 6 months or so)

Thanks.

I would let it carbonate at a nice fermentation temperature (65 - 70°F) for fourteen days or so, then store it in your basement, and then chill it to <52°F several weeks before you want to drink it. This should help recondition the beer a little.

cheezydemon said:
P.S. I guess I've reached the fabled mountain. The SNPA I am sipping tastes like crap.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. :)

While SNPA is a good beer, I feel like it needs to be amped up a bit more. More body, more aggressive bittering hops, perhaps more different kinds of aroma hops, ...

I would do just as you say. Carb for 3 weeks at room temp, then lager until it's time to consume. I bet it will be great.

Back