Sierra Nevada Ovila Saison yeast = Kellerweis yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how many people here had a chance to have Sierra Nevada's Ovila saison, but I thought it was quite excellent. I have been thinking of capturing this yeast from the bottle, but am some what convinced from Terrence Sullivan's talk, "sacred stones" at NHC this year that they are filtering these beers and adding a neutral ale yeast for bottle conditioning.

Earlier this week I got a sixer of their Kellerweis and was sure that the two beers have a similar yeast flavor profile.

Any one else have any input on this?

I'm thinking of trying to culture yeasts from both sources, and splitting a batch too see. though I think it might be tough to get the Ovila saison, I do think the bottle shop down the street from me has a few left.

I haven't had the beer your speaking of, but I have also heard that snpa filters there beer, and adds another yeast to bottle condition. It seems like a common practice, from reading probrewer. I believe it too, because the sediment in there bottle's is paper thin. I have never seen such a thin yeast layer in an un-filtered bottle of beer before.

I was at the brewery just last Saturday. On the tour they were very proud of the special yeast they got from Belgium. They use another yeast for the Keller and just ferment it higher temps creating the banana ester. A flavor also present in Belgians because they are also ferment at a higher temps.

I asked if they used different yeast for bottling and the answer was no. He encouraged propagating the yeast if you wanted but the pale and many other ales have the Chico yeast in it. He said it was common in brew shops though I've never seen it before. It may have another name.

I only had a chance to sample the quad. Great stuff for sure, my next visit I may head all the way up to the monastery to check it out.

Amazing tour btw, a must for beer junkies.

Good to know, thanks for the information. I still have not had the quad. I must get one soon. Then culture the dregs.

I think when he is referring to Chico ale yeast he is talking about cal ale wlp001.

Chico = WLP001 = Wyeast1056 = S-05. The ubiquitous American yeast

Back