Quick question - hopefully I get a quick response!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutus09

Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered some homebrew ingredients from Austin homebrew and made sure to get the ice pack to help out the yeast in this heat. It shipped 5 days ago and when I picked it up at my doorstop it was quite warm, also it's date is June 11. I smaked the activator (2112 california lager) 3 hours ago and it's barely swelled. My question is what are the chances this yeast is damaged and should I just go out and buy more yeast tonight? I want to make a starter tonight so I can brew tomorrow night.

Any info is much appreciated.

YOu should make a starter.....you should ALWAYS make a starter with liquid yeast, but especially with yeast you're not sure about. It will let you know if the yeast is still alive, AND it will reproduce any living cells in there, as well as make sure you have enough yeast to do the job.

The last liquid yeast pack I ordered from them was no good. I live in Dallas and I know it ain't any cooler in Austin. Probably tough for them to ship liquid packs at all with temps frequently around 100. I am probably going to be getting yeast from my LHBS until the fall. Still love AHS though!

Yeah, I completely agree with always making a starter. Do to my short window in when I can brew I think I am going to play it safe and buy some WLP810 from my LHBS to mix in with my Wyeast 2112. Historically they are the same strain so hopefully things work out.

Back