Middle Tennessee Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
It looks like everybody around us is buying grain in bulk from North Country Malt Supply, so why shouldn't we? I would like to find somebody who has an active account with NCM and is willing to help us buy some grain here in Middle Tennessee. Please help!:ban:

If you need a copy of the 2011 price list for NCM please PM me. When looking at the pricing sheet look at the first box as I don't think we will get enough interest to fill 2 pallets.

I just called the North Carolina store, they will ship to anyone, it's cheaper if you have a commercial address. You must have at least one 42 bag palette. It's under $100 to ship to middle Tennessee with the fuel surcharge. We just need to get 42 bags sold.

I am sure that someone will be able to step-up and provide a place where we can put the pallet.

I am in for the following: 2 bags CM-2ROW & 1 Bag CM-SPIL & 2 Bags CM-PALE

I would also be interested in splitting some specialty grain bags with other folks. I would like to get some Crystal Malt, Wheat Malt, & Marris Otter.

I am in for 1 bag of TF-MOPA

Additionally, I'd be in for splitting some Crystal 45 or 65 and Pale Chocolate (preferably, Thomas Fawcett) with 2-3 other people.

I can provide a commercial addy, but i'm farther out from most.

2- CM-2ROW
1- CM-SPIL
1- CM-MUNH
1- TF-MOPA

I am in for 1 bag of TF-MOPA

Additionally, I'd be in for splitting some Crystal 45 or 65 and Pale Chocolate (preferably, Thomas Fawcett) with 2-3 other people.

I would be up for splitting some Pale Chocolate, but I think I would prefer we find some other folks to come in on the split. I would like say 1/5 of a bag.

I would also be up for splitting some Crystal 60, but again I think I could only use 1/4 of a bag.

I'm in as well but since I have yet to brew anything other than extract I will look to your experiences on what I should get for base malts to start out with. As well as any specialty grains I'd be willing to share the cost on them as well.

I'm in as well but since I have yet to brew anything other than extract I will look to your experiences on what I should get for base malts to start out with. As well as any specialty grains I'd be willing to share the cost on them as well.

I think everybody should have 2 Row on hand as it is used in a lot of recipes. I believe that I have seen a lot of recipe call for Pale Malt as well, but I think they are really close. If you plan on doing some Belgian beer or Pilsners then I would think that having some Pilsen malt would be helpful.

I'm down with getting some of the basics (pale 2 row) and some specialty grains such as the crystals and chocolates and such. How large are the bags? I.e. when you say split a bag, how much are you talking about and for what price?

I'm down with getting some of the basics (pale 2 row) and some specialty grains such as the crystals and chocolates and such. How large are the bags? I.e. when you say split a bag, how much are you talking about and for what price?

All the bags I saw were 55lbs. The Great Western crystal is .63 cents a pound.

I can use some crystal malts if necessary, but not a lot.

I think I PM'd you the price list. If you need me to send it again just let me know.

I'm in for 1 bag of Bairds Maris Otter BD-MOPA, and 1 bag Canada Malting Company 2 row CM-2ROW. A friend of mine is in for a bag of CM-2ROW as well.

Most people keep a supply of base malt on hand. What you get and use depends on your preference of what beer you like to make. 2-row will work fine as a base malt for most beers. (not including wheat beers but 2-row is used as a part of those alot as well) I mean you cant really make a Pilsner w/o Pils malt. I personally like Maris Otter as a base for most of my beers. If a recipe calls for 2-row I almost always substitute MO, but that is my preference.

As for Crystal and other ad malts, it is again what you use alot of. I personally use a lot of C-40 and 60, and I substitute alot of Pale Chocolate in some of my darker recipes.

If you are just starting out and you are still using extracts as your base, go in and chop up a couple bags of specialty malts that you'd like to try. This will give you the chance to cheaply get some malts to experiment with. If you are not set up for all grain brewing you should avoid base malts as they will not be necessary for your purposes.

I'd say go in a split a bag of C-40 or C-60 and a bag Pale Chocolate. Then make some killer pale ale and awesome brown ales with it.

I would be up for splitting some Pale Chocolate, but I think I would prefer we find some other folks to come in on the split. I would like say 1/5 of a bag.

I would also be up for splitting some Crystal 60, but again I think I could only use 1/4 of a bag.

I am up for splitting up the specialties. I'd like to get about 10-15# of Crystal 40 or 60 and the same of pale chocolate...So a 1/4 bag or a 1/5 of a bag doesnt matter to me...it is the difference between 14# and 11, so no biggie, I am flexible.

I am up for splitting up the specialties. I'd like to get about 10-15# of Crystal 40 or 60 and the same of pale chocolate...So a 1/4 bag or a 1/5 of a bag doesnt matter to me...it is the difference between 14# and 11, so no biggie, I am flexible.

C'mon man, we aint getting to 42 bags this way.:)

_

If I am not mistaken we are at 12 bags committed, without any of the specialty grain splits. I know another guy on here is going to buy at least 5 bags and maybe more.

Thanks for getting this together 1234! You can sign me up for...

Grain:
1/5 bag Caramel Crystal 60L
1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Pale 2 Row

Also, I noticed LME and hops being listed on the product sheet. I would go in half with anyone on the items below if possible.

30 lb. (BR-PL-L60) Briess Light Liquid Extract 60 pound pail $73
1/4 lb. East Kent Golding
1/4 lb. Fuggles
1/4 lb. Hallertau
1/4 lb. Cascade

Still new to this, so if some of that can't be ordered, it's cool. I'll keep thinking and looking at recipes in the mean time to see if I can add anything else. I'm currently an extract brewer too so can't really purchase too much grain other than the specialty stuff, but the LME and hops look very attractive if possible to buy.

Thanks for getting this together 1234! You can sign me up for...

Grain:
1/5 bag Caramel Crystal 60L
1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Pale 2 Row

Also, I noticed LME and hops being listed on the product sheet. I would go in half with anyone on the items below if possible.

30 lb. (BR-PL-L60) Briess Light Liquid Extract 60 pound pail $73
1/4 lb. East Kent Golding
1/4 lb. Fuggles
1/4 lb. Hallertau
1/4 lb. Cascade

Still new to this, so if some of that can't be ordered, it's cool. I'll keep thinking and looking at recipes in the mean time to see if I can add anything else. I'm currently an extract brewer too so can't really purchase too much grain other than the specialty stuff, but the LME and hops look very attractive if possible to buy.

I think we may have a hard time doing any of the hops. If I have read the stuff correctly it looks like we can order 11 pounds or 44 pounds of each type. The 60 pound pail might be able to be done, but it may be difficult to get on a pallet. Let's see how this goes and we will see what can be done. You could probably get some 2 Row from one of the other guys who are going to order more than 1 bag of it.

So far it looks like we will be adding a bag of crystal 60L & a bag of Pale Chocolate.

I really don't know if any one is willing to split up base malts. That's only one recipes worth.
If not, I can give you that much, I still have 28lbs or so from the last mail order raping.

_

I appreciate it WildWest... I don't mind to pay you back for that amount. I just like to use the 2-row with my steeping grains as I read from Austin Homebrew (I believe that's where I saw it) that it helps the special grains during the steeping process. 1234, as far as the hops go, no biggie, but the LME would be awesome and save me a ton! I'll keep searching and see if I can add some more grain to the list. Or maybe SWMBO will allow me to spend some extra dough and buy the items to step up to all grain. :mug:

You really only need 1 pot w/spigot and bazooka screen, a bottling bucket, and a burner. I am changing out some of my system and I have used the same pot to mash and boil in. It makes things a little more fun, by fun I mean work, but it can be done. Rebel Brewer has a new Polar Ware Brew Rite pot that is priced really well. If you make a trip down I would check it out.

I got a local commitment for a couple of bags. He isn't sure what he wants and I just hope he doesn't back out.

1234, you are a one man sales machine... I wasn't going to buy anything and now you have me wanting more. Keep up the good work!

I know that Ranger wants to get in on the buy and he has posted anything yet. I know we have more folks on here that brew.

Count me in for: 1-BZ-MUNH Light Munich, 1-CM-2ROW Canadian 2-Row, and a willingness to split some of the specialties to help fill in orders...how close are we now?

Count me in for: 1-BZ-MUNH Light Munich, 1-CM-2ROW Canadian 2-Row, and a willingness to split some of the specialties to help fill in orders...how close are we now?

We are currently sitting at 18 bags. That includes the full bags that have been ordered and the 2 bags that are being split. Crystal 60L and Pale Chocolate are the ones being split. I would be happy to split some Wheat, Munich and maybe some other crystal.

I just got another commitment for 2 bags. We are now almost at the halfway point. I have my brewing buddy coming over in the next hour or 2 and I am going to put the hard sell on him.

I added another bag of 2 Row to my order and another bag of pale malt to my order. I think that means we are now at 22 bags. I am waiting on dedhedjed and Ranger9913 to post how many they want. If anybody drives close to Lakeland I think we could get Cpt_Kirks in on the buy.

I added another bag of 2 Row to my order and another bag of pale malt to my order. I think that means we are now at 22 bags. I am waiting on dedhedjed and Ranger9913 to post how many they want. If anybody drives close to Lakeland I think we could get Cpt_Kirks in on the buy.

You're an animal, kudos. :mug:
I will try to get some more orders tomorrow at our club meeting.

_

Thank you, but I counted wrong. We are at 24 instead of 22. I was only counting the full bags and not the 2 bags that are being split. Just so everybody knows, we have room for either 2 or 3 more people to split some crystal 60 and Pale Chocolate. I am also looking for 4 other people to split some wheat & munich.

If you are driving to Memphis from the east, you will probably be going right by me. I live a couple of minutes from the intersection of I-40 and US-64.

Seriously thinking of a couple of bags. At least that would force me to motorize my Corona mill.

Well it would be ideal due to the price break, but I know that Maffewl would like to split a big pail of LME. I am not sure if we will find anybody who wants to split it with him or not.

I'm currently in the process of building a mash tun... I should be able to switch to all grain once I get a feel for the process (should be traveling to see wildwests setup sometime soon). Since we don't seem to be in a huge rush on the order, I'll remove my order of LME and try to get an idea of how much base grain would be a good starting amount and of what type.

@maffewl - get a sack of American 2-row and a sack of Marris Otter...that will get you started and probably last you for the year depending on how often you brew...

Back