Keeping Keg Cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Ok i have a delima - I just broke up with my fiance and am moving to a tiny tiny apartment and there is no room for a fridge dedicated to my beer kegs. Is there anther way to get the keg cold for drinking. My idea was to on the day i wanted o drink it put the keg n some ice water for a few hours before dispencing. Is this a crazy idea - or should i go back to bottling until i get a bigger apartment and fridge?

I'd say get soem stainless tubing, bend it into a coil, put the coil in some container with ice and water (Must have water also), attach hose to each end, one going to keg other to tap. Keg can stay warm, beer coming out will be cold. This way you can have cold beer a lot faster then trying to cool down the entire keg.

You could buy a carbonator cap, and pour some into some pet bottles. Few hours in the fridge.

What about a small apartment size fridge?

It's gotta be cold enough out right now to just leave the keg outside. I know it sure is here in Regina. That should buy you some time atleast.

bathtub full of ice.. get the big blocks they last longer..OR.. take the shelves out of your fridge and put it in there.. then make smaller shelves for you food,, I mean common you know the fridges isn't going to be full anyway!

KIRSPC is on the right track... get a cheap cooler and a chill plate... keg can stay warm and whenever you feel like a few beers, you would just need a bag of ice.

I guess it depends on how often you'll want just one...

I am a bachelor, and have one shelf out already for beer ingredients and growlers... Might be a good temp solution for now, no extra cost (sorry about you situation btw)...

Flash chiller. It's a box sized fridge that has an ice-bath with a long stainless steel coil through which the beer flows. Room temperature beer in, very cold temperature beer out.

DSC00121.jpg

The flash chiller is on the right, under the bin. :)

Back