1st All-grain. That was easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bach7210

Reaction score
I've been brewing extract kits off and on since 2005. I might be in the 20's or so on these and can nearly do one in my sleep. For the longest time I have wanted to move to all-grain but the additional equipment, the confusion on this and that, the whole thing seemed like a big chore, vice a progression of enjoyment in this hobby.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago when I decided to start buying up the remaining elements of my kit and subsequent move to all-grain. I decided it would easiest for me to use a 10 gallon cooler (I am using the barginfittings.com conversion kit, works great by the way, and decided on a stainless false bottom) as the mash tun and to go with a turkey fryer (30qt pot included) to do the full boils. I had an immersion chiller and everything else so I felt I was finally ready to give this a try.

I ordered two all-grain kits from one of the online suppliers and this past Sunday was my 1st all-grain brew day.

I have to say this to any of you guys, or gals, out there reading this post and are considering going to all-grain but have those butterflies telling you not too...DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!! I couldn't believe how easy this is. Let me put it to you this way, if you can take a temperature reading and use a spoon type device to stir water and grain together...you can do all-grain. Yes I'm simplifying a bit for sake of this post, but honest to God, All-grain is not this mystifying, obscure, secretive, overly difficult process. From what I can tell, that is, if my math is correct, I even hit 85% efficiency on this first go. I'm tickled to say the least.

Bottom line here - if you are comfortable with what you are doing with extract brews, take the jump already. You will not be sorry that you did.

Now of course, since I've written out this post, I'll pour off my first glass of this brew in a few weeks and it will take like monkey p*$$. But, I really don't care. I am just delighted that I took this next step and if things don't work out, then I'll refine my technique and it will only get better from here.

My many many thanks to the die-hards on this board who provide all of us with their vast insight and knowledge on this craft. Without your contributions, I would never have made this leap.

The next easy step and the one were you'll say "why didn't I do this sooner" is kegging.
Congratulations on your first all-grain.
mark
Beer Diary...

The next easy step and the one were you'll say "why didn't I do this sooner" is kegging.
Congratulations on your first all-grain.
mark
Beer Diary...

You are absolutely right about the kegging. I started that about 6 months ago and love the fact that I do not have to bottle.

+ 1 to all grain not being that hard... once you have process down. And there are many ways to get by without a full set of equipment. Perhaps full boil extract is as great tasting as all grain (I never did a full boil on an extract), but I have loved my AG brew. The hops flavor on a pale ale is totally different. Much more distinct.

So relax, go all grain.

PS easy on the move to kegging... Revvy might be watching! :)

+1 AG
+1 keg
I have been thinking about brewing for a long time, taking notes from my friend and his AG techniques, I slowly pieced together everything I needed to start brewing with AG and kegging. It did cost a few bucks to get everything, the propane burner, IC, MLT made with a 10 gal Rubbermaid with SS false bottom... and of course my corny keg setup. So yes, I had some extra money to spend, but I am glad I did.

Congrats on your first AG, sounds like you nailed it, and your beer will taste great, good luck on future brews, (you will be doing a lot more trust me).:mug:

My story is somewhat similar to yours... I did my first all-grain last Sunday as well. I started brewing back in '92 or so, with a lot of extract and partial-mash (stovetop) batches under my belt. I stopped brewing in about '98 or so, resumed about seven years ago, but haven't brewed for the last four or so (all due to interference from this thing called "life").

Anyways, I told myself that if I was going to do it again, I was going all-grain. And I did. Like you, I found that the process was a bit more time-consuming but no more difficult. About the only prep I did, other than procuring the additional equipment needed, was read Palmer's "How to Brew".

Now that the first one is under my belt, I have about 50 different experiments planned in my head. Can't wait for next weekend to brew the next batch...

nice to hear about your success. i plan on going AG very soon, just need to find that allusive job... then finding a turkey fryer and i'm all set

planning on trying my hands on some smaller AG batches just to get my feet wet until i upgrade my BK. gonna make a 2-3gal wheat tomorrow/thursday on the stove

+1 AG
+1 keg

+1 10 gallon batches
+1 20 gallon batches
+1 start growing hops
+1 purchase 40 acres and start growing barley
+1 dig salt water pond to grow seaweed to make irish moss

...dude, this hobby never ends...you have taken the first dark baby step towards the vortex of beeritude.

Just wait until you say the words "No Honey, a PID controller is a part for the car."
:mug:

Perfect time to make the jump... if you just moved. It seems like everytime I started brewing in a new place after moving it was relearning everything!

why not?!

Back