Fermentation stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinnickhawk

Reaction score
So, I brewed my first batch of beer ever yesterday (American Light by Brewers Best). I followed the directions and got to where I needed to chill the wort. I had it in an ice bath in the sink, which I think created problems with my reading the lcd thermometer affixed to the side of my bucket.
Anyway, I fear I may have added the yeast when the wort was still in the 80 degree range.
The bucket began bubbling last night and through today, so I thought everything was alright. But, it has since seemed to stop, only about 24 hours into the process.
I read some threads and just cut off the cross on the bottom of the airlock thinking it might have plugged.
When I looked in the airlock hold I saw bubbles on the surface of the wort.
I'm worried though, any thoughts?

It sounds fine. I've had beers ferment out in 24 hours or so. If you added the yeast at 80 degrees, the fermentation would probably have been fast and furious. Yeast love those warm temperatures, but for better flavor next time, try to keep the temperature in the yeast strain's preferred range. For most ales, that's around 66-68 degrees. You can find out the best temperature for your yeast by either finding it on the yeast manufacturer's website, or by posting here. I think that between all of us, we've used every yeast strain imaginable, and can give you some good tips!

How do you know fermentation has stopped????

The airlock is not a fermentation gauge...it is a valve to release excess CO2...not a precision instrument...If it is not bubbling it could just not have an excess of co2 to be released, or it could have fermented out...NOT that there is anything is wrong...

Read this...then leave you beer alone for 10 days, and follow the suggestions in there (hint...it involves a hydrometer, not an airlock)

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

I am 99.9% positive that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your beer, just that you are nervous and new at this.

SO relax!!!!!!!

Leave the beer alone...the yeast know what they have to do...

warninglabel1.jpg

(The beer is fine...you just have a mental illness that around here we call noobitus, the propensity to worry too much about something that at this stage you know very little about...Your beer is much stronger than you think it is. And it is perfectly fine....so walk away for awhile.)

:D

Back