Dogfish Head mini-mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a dogfish head IPA (60, 90, or 120) mini-mash recipe? I know they use a ton of malt and grain so it should really be done as an all grain recipe. Is there a recipe out there that can get me around this since I can't do all-grain? Or if someone has a scaled-down recipe so I can brew it as a mini-mash.

I found this recipe on Realbeer.com, it doesn't say which IPA:

"Here is the recipe according to Zymurgy.

5 U.S. Gallons
16 lb Pilsner Malt
.5 lb English Amber Malt 35L
11 lb Dextrose Sugar (added during fermentation)
1.38 oz Amarillo pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (continuous hopping) (30.8 IBU)
1.38 oz Simcoe pellet hops, 13% alpha acid (continuous hopping) (40 IBU)
1.38 oz Warrior pellet hops, 16% alpha acid (continuous hopping) (49.2 IBU)

Mix the hops in a container and add about .1 oz of the mixture every 3 minutes.

1.0 oz Amarillo pellet hops, 10% alpha acid (daily dry hopping)
1.0 oz Simcoe pellet hops, 13% alpha acid (daily dry hopping)
1.0 oz Warrior pellet hops, 16% alpha acid (daily dry hopping)

Mix the hops in a container and add about 0.2 oz of the mixture to the fermenter every day.

White Labs WLP001 California Ale or Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast for initial fermentation. For the following fermentation use White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale.

Target Original Gravity 1.092 (22 Plato)
Approximate Final Gravity 1.042 (10.48 Plato after sugar additions)"

Obviously 16+ lbs of malt is something I can't handle in my kitchen. Can anyone help scale this down to a mini-mash?

if you can mash 6 lbs 2-row + 1.25 lbs crystal 20 and add 6 lbs. dme to that you should be around 1.090 (thats @ 75 percent u. for the mash)

then proceed with the crazy hop additions and sugar and all that jazz...

The recipe says the 11 lbs of sugar is added during fermentation. Anyone know if that is all at once or gradual? Is it added during primary, secondary, or both?

Once sugar is added do you stir it up to dissolve it? I would think that would cause unwanted aeration of the beer.

There is no possible way that 11lb dextrose addition is correct in 5 US gallons.

Also, the continuous hopping of the wort is what makes the beer special...you could do it as extract+steeping, mini-mash, or AG and get close enough for the malt aspect. The key is the hopping which is more or less independent of extract vs all-grain (though the size of your boil will affect the hop extraction rate).

Edit...sorry, perhaps this recipe is the 120? Then I'm not sure about the dextrose, but it still sounds outrageous.

HurricaneFloyd said:
The recipe says the 11 lbs of sugar is added during fermentation. Anyone know if that is all at once or gradual? Is it added during primary, secondary, or both?

Once sugar is added do you stir it up to dissolve it? I would think that would cause unwanted aeration of the beer.

yeah 11 lbs sounds really high!
check out Papazains "micro brewed adventures" in it he takes a stab at making an IPA similar to the 60 (its called 65-65-65, og 1.065, ibu 65, abv 6.5).
i think if you start with a similar approach, you could bump it up to a 90-90-90.

basically the spirit of all thier beers is the continuously hop technique, besides that thier beers are just basic IPA's (2-row, some crystal, ale yeast)

You can check out info on the sam adams 20 percent beer, i think they add some sugar everyday starting with high kreusen and continuing for a week or so.

The target ABV for 120 is over 20%, so 11 pounds would be correct.

Wait until the fermentation slows, rack it, add the second yeast and about half of the dextrose, wait again, add the rest. This allows the yeast to work at a lower osmotic pressure and adapt to the ABV changes.

If I want to scale back the ABV to say 9 or 10%, how much sugar should I add then?

Can Promash help me with this? I really should just buy the thing and get it over with but right now SWMBO is so-so with my brewing purchases so I think I'll wait.

Cut the pilsner to 7 pounds and use 5 pounds of dextrose. Should be close and you won't need the second yeast. Cut the bittering hops about 40%, dry hop 'til your teeth bleed.

Bjorn Borg said:
if you can mash 6 lbs 2-row + 1.25 lbs crystal 20 and add 6 lbs. dme to that you should be around 1.090 (thats @ 75 percent u. for the mash)

I was going to go with what Bjorn suggested here.... still use 5 lbs of dextrose based on what he said?

Borg's suggestion will get you to 8.5 % ABV. A pound of dextrose in 5 gallons adds 0.009 points and about 1.2 % ABV (since if ferments 100%)

Bjorn Borg said:

Borg, how are you able to convert that AG recipe to this partial mash? Is there a documented way on how to do this or is this an educated guess? This would help me a lot since I'm not always able to find a partial mash version of a recipe and I end up annoying people around here to no end trying to convert the recipe! :p

Back