building AG Set-up???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getnit

Reaction score
I have Designed a Gravity Flow AG Set-up with a Pump To Recirculate the mash tun(Sparging?). Here Is What I have

Turkey Fryer burner
12 Gallon Ice Cube Cooler For Mash Tun
15 Gallon Keggle
5 Gallon Keggle
1 foods Grade Pump

My Question is if the 5 gallon Keggle is big enough for the hot liquor tank?

or do I locate another 15 Gallon one or use a 10 gallon Rubermaid? Whats You Thoughts?

I have done only 3 extracts, 1 cider and I am looking for the ability to be more creative. ITS ADDICTING!!!!

Thanks,

Wow...four batches and your ready to pump!! Get your feet wet, check out the sources below. I would recomend working on the process for a while rather than a "set-up". FYI, an HLT can be anything that can heat a sufficient volume of water...additionally...your kettle can do double duty and function as an HLT also, if you simply have another container to hold the wort during the sparge process.

To answer your question, 5 gal. is small for a HLT. you could make it work temporarily I guess. Check out the links below for simple all grain techniques.

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/index.php
http://www.tastybrew.com/articles/dennyconn001

Way to get a running start. Do you have plans for your brew sculpture yet? ;)

The 5 gal HLT will be big enough for most 5 gal batches, but you'll need at least double that if you want to brew 10 gal batches. I think I usually sparge with 8-9 gals for a typical 10 gal batch.

Like Lil' Sparky said, a five gallon HLT is big enough for a five gallon batch. With my five gallon batches, I usually mash in with somewhere around 3-5 gallons, and I usually sparge with somewhere around four gallons.

It sounds like you're setting up for larger batches, though, so you'll need that larger HLT.

TL

You'll need a larger HLT, it's true. I think you should also invest in a wort chiller. They're easy to make, pretty cheap if you don't screw up, and they work so much better than a bath of ice, it'll knock your socks off.

I'd love a pump and will get one when my back gives out in 40 years.

I'd swap the pump for an immersion chiller though.

Can't do AG, full boils without a way to quickly cool that wort.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I do have a sculpture designed out. I spent this after noon cutting 100 ft of 3/4 square tubing to dimensions. I got 140 ft for trading 1/2 of the first AG batch. Its Simple yet designed for space saving when not in use. After your suggestions I will be waiting my first full run until I have a Larger HLT or another Keggle. I will post some picts when I get It built.

Thanks Again,

I was also cutting metal last night. I put like 25 old bedframes out of their misery. I can't help but think about the people who put them out on the curb for trash pickup. I wonder if it would make them giggle if they knew it was now going to help me make beer.

If anyone is thinking about cutting this much metal with a chop saw, I just want to tell you that it's about the nastiest part of "metal shop" ever. Sparks, fumes, noise, metal dust EVERYWHERE, dangerous!!! Please wear gloves, goggles, earplugs and a respirator.

14903-AG1.jpg

14903-ag2.jpg

Its getting there still needs two more Keggles, and fittings ect. It is designed to compact for storage. Any thoughts or suggestions before I get any further along???

Thanks,

AG1.jpg

ag2.jpg

What do you need 2 more keggles for? I only use 3, or 2 and a mash cooler. It looks like you have 2 already.

I think it will need some tweaking to bring the height down a bit. It is a lot like Dude's. I'll probably borrow some mounting/offset techniques on his. As far as the Keggles go the polished on is my end table base for my game room that I use for display purposes and it was suggest by some people at my HBS to use three for larger batches.? Thanks for the feedback..

Latest posts

Back