IIPA dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcfd918

Reaction score
Did a IIPA and am ready to transfer for dry hopping. OG was 1.098 and finished at 1.021 coming in around 10.4%. I have about 2.3 ounces of Amarillo and 2 ounces of Simcoe I was going to use. I know that bigger beers require bigger dry hop additions but is this enough. Also would you add both together or one and then the other at a later time? Would 7 days be sufficient?

Simcoe and Amarillo is a great combo for a dry hop. Added 1.5 ounces of each for dry hop on my black IPA (OG = 1.075) and it was the perfect balance of pine and citrus. Never have done an IPA that big but I feel that 2 ounces of each (4 oz total) would be fine for a beer that big. Probably could get away with just 3 oz depending how big of an aroma your looking for. Can't talk from experience but I feel that anything more than a 4 oz dry hop would be overkill. No need to stagger the additions, just add them in at the same time and let them do their work for about 5 days. After 5 days you don't really get anything more out of the dry hops and you risk getting grassy flavors in your beer, especially with a large amount of dry hops. Happy brewing.

I like this article from Brew Your Own magazine, with tips from the guys at Stone. "http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201". Check out page 42 for the info.

Add the whole 4.3 ounces for 7 days. You'll be golden. :mug: I like 4-6 oz of dry hops per carboy in my IIPAs. Simcoe/amarillo are a classic combination for a reason. Enjoy!

I like this article from Brew Your Own magazine, with tips from the guys at Stone. "http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201". Check out page 42 for the info.

This is a good article. Thanks. Even has a bunch of their clone recipes. Funny how one brewing company will give you half of their recipes yet some like Founders wouldn't even answer a question I emailed them about using coffee.

I'd personally do different additions, separate. But those two will be good together. It's what I've got planned for a DIPA that started at 1.085 and it's down at 1.014 now.

I'd do Amarillo first for 7 days, pull it, and add Simcoe for 7. Then package it immediately. Layers it a bit. I did that last time for my IPA, and did it again for a DIPA I did. Sometimes I toss it all in the keg and dryhop while I carb, but I really like nabbing one layer and tossing another fresh burst in there before I keg it. It prolongs it all I think.

Just go for it! dump them all in for 6-7 days and start carbing it at the same time if you can. The lower temps will allow you to keep them dry hopped in the keg for 2-3 weeks. Those first dozen pulls on the tap will be magical. I usually pull them after 3 weeks on the gas and at fridge temps. Try it out!

So when you guys dry hop in the keg are you just using a bag and then removing that. I've only been kegging about 7 months. I never really considered hopping in the keg. I've only dry hopped in a 5g carboy in which I just dump them in. I use a paint strainer bag, cut a piece off and zip tie it to the end of my auto syphon to keep the hops out of the keg.

Leaf hops in a bag and I never remove them. It took a few months for the beer to start to get a grassy flavor with cascade but typically I'll finish the keg before it gets to that point. I love dry hopping in kegs, saves time and doesn't get much fresher unless you use a randalizer.

Face Eater said:
Leaf hops in a bag and I never remove them. It took a few months for the beer to start to get a grassy flavor with cascade but typically I'll finish the keg before it gets to that point. I love dry hopping in kegs, saves time and doesn't get much fresher unless you use a randalizer.

I can't wait to try this. My mouth is watering now! I don't think I have to worry about a keg lasting 3 months. I'm lucky if I get a month.

I can't wait to try this. My mouth is watering now! I don't think I have to worry about a keg lasting 3 months. I'm lucky if I get a month.

You should be good then. It's awesome and sure beats waiting to dry hop and then keg/carb. Why not do them at the same time!?!

To original poster......... What was the recipe, yeast, mash temp, and ferment temp? Just curious. I'm new to AG. I just did a black IPA with simcoe Amarillo blend. 6 days dry hop. Tastes very good.

Friedclutch said:
To original poster......... What was the recipe, yeast, mash temp, and ferment temp? Just curious. I'm new to AG. I just did a black IPA with simcoe Amarillo blend. 6 days dry hop. Tastes very good.

I will post it here but probably won't be able to until Saturday(maybe in the morning). It was an Amarillo pale ale that ended up a little dark and hoppy on the first try(but still really good) about like a red IPA. So I decided to make it a double. Tasted pretty good when I transferred it to the secondary. Kinda wish I'd have done a little lower mash temp but I'm new to brewing the big doubles IPA's.

I use a muslin bag and teflon tape for keg dry hopping. Place the hops in the sanitized muslin bag. Tie an overhand knot at the top. Measure out about 6-8 inches of teflon tape. Tie another overhand knot of the tape around the muslin knot. Place muslin hop bag into keg and leave an inch of the tape outside the keg lid. Close lid, and carbonate. It is that easy and you never have to worry about pressure leaks with the teflon tape. It compresses between the o-ring of the lid and keg without worry.

BTW, you could go longer with the teflon tape. You just don't want the muslin hop bag to reach the bottom of the keg, otherwise it could get sucked up against the dip tube and clog it. Be sure to spray the **** out of the teflon tape before you put it in the keg.

The Teflon tape sounds like a good idea. Basically if you know how long a keg lasts you, you can make it longer or shorter so the hops would only contact the beer for a certain amount of time.

So when you guys dry hop in the keg are you just using a bag and then removing that. I've only been kegging about 7 months. I never really considered hopping in the keg. I've only dry hopped in a 5g carboy in which I just dump them in. I use a paint strainer bag, cut a piece off and zip tie it to the end of my auto syphon to keep the hops out of the keg.

Sometimes I remove it, sometimes I don't. Depends really on how fast I drink it, or how long it might sit, or tastes...

I put the leaf and or pellet, but usually leaf in a fine mesh hop bag. Tie it up, and hang it from my PVR with a SS hose clamp. It suspends it's self in the beer, and once it gets down around half way, it'll hang and drain in the keg anyways.

I'll do that when I rack the beer to the keg, and carb it at the same time always. Just skips a step, it's cleaner, and easier, and I don't lose much of any beer to hops at all. I also have a dip tube that is 1/4 in shorter, and has a fine screen over it as well incase anything slips out of the bag, which hasn't ever happened yet.

Recipe: Amarillo Double IPA TYPE: All Grain
Style: Imperial IPA
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 11.8 SRM SRM RANGE: 8.0-15.0 SRM
IBU: 93.2 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 60.0-120.0 IBUs
OG: 1.092 SG OG RANGE: 1.070-1.090 SG
FG: 1.021 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.020 SG
BU:GU: 1.016 Calories: 343.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 9.4 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 5.00 gal Boil: 6.72 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 12.0 oz Total Hops: 10.80 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.7 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.5 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
8.0 oz Dark Crystal- Simpsons (86.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.8 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 20.41 qt of water at 170.6 F 153.0 F 60 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
Fly sparge with 3.75 gal water at 170.0 F

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Palisade [8.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 48.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - First Wo Hop 7 21.0 IBUs

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.075 SG Est OG: 1.092 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 22.0 min Hop 8 11.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 5.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 4.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.5 IBUs

Dry Hops:

2.30 oz Amarillo for 6 days
2.00 oz Simcoe for 6 days

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 12/29/2012 - 17.00 Days at 62.0 F ended 70.0 F
Secondary Start: 1/15/2013 - 6.00 Days at 66.0 F
Style Carb Range: 2.20-2.70 Vols
Kegging: 1/21/2013 with 2.4 Volumes CO2:
---NOTES------------------------------------

Measured OG: 1.098
Measured FG: 1.021
ABV: 10.3%

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 I used rinsed yeast and made 2 separate starters.
Aeration was done with filtered air via a fish tank air pump difussion stone and I airated off and on for the first 32 hrs. I didnt have my O2 setup yet or I'd have used it.

I made a single hop Palisade IPA this summer that turned out pretty well. A friend of mine moved away gave me a bunch of ingredients he had because he wasn't going to be brewing for awhile. Included in that was a half pound of palisade hops. I had 2 oz left over and wanted to use them up. They also have a citrus/fruitiness to them but a lower AA and not really considered a bittering hop but they will definitely work as a bittering hop. They seem to have blended well with the recipe so we will see how it is when I keg it. If it's not the greatest, oh well, with 10.3% i won't remember after 2 anyway. :drunk:

I also used the Columbus hops to get them used up as well. Happy Brewing!!

Back