Force carbing, or CO2 leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdawsey

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Long story short: I'm wondering if force carbing takes several adjustments due to CO2 being progressively absorbed into solution, or if I have a systemic problem.

Long story long:
So i've been force carbonating my beers ever since I started kegging; about 3 months/4 brews ago. Every time I have kegged, carbed, then put the keg in the fridge, and returned to maintain the carbonation as the beer cools throughout the next day. Now here's the weird thing: I understand that the actual PSI will lower as the temperature inside the keg lowers(keg day/carbing at about 65*F), but up to three days after kegging I am still adding CO2 up to 20 lbs. because the pressure reading tends to drop, even all the way to 0 psi in as few as 8 hrs. I've progressively began with more CO2 at the initial keg day from 20 up to 40 psi according to my regulator since I put this system together. One suggestion is that I have a leak. I don't think so because after about 3 days I can level it out at 8-10 psi and it's well carbed, but due to the strange looks I've gotten from folks when recounting my methods I'm curious as to whether this happens only on my system.

Am I wasting CO2 due to a leak?
Is this a normal/expected occurence due to temp. changes?
Is my regulator unreliable?

Purely curious. I don't currently understand the chemistry/physics of suspending a gas in a liquid solution, and certainly appreciate any helpful advice.

Thanks!

I think you may have leak. Pressurize your keg, then spray some Windex or other soapy solution on all the fittings and around the lid. Look for bubbles.

Room temperature beer needs a much higher pressure to force it into solution. 30 psi @ 65f for 2.5 volumes.

You don't have a leak, the co2 just hasn't fully saturated the beer at room temp so as it chills the co2 is absorbed and your pressure drops.

There is a chance that reduction in pressure will make your lid loose seal if you're not keeping it on gas while cooling.

I'd suggest chilling your brew next time prior to force carbing.

Room temperature beer needs a much higher pressure to force it into solution. 30 psi @ 65f for 2.5 volumes.

You don't have a leak, the co2 just hasn't fully saturated the beer at room temp so as it chills the co2 is absorbed and your pressure drops.

There is a chance that reduction in pressure will make your lid loose seal if you're not keeping it on gas while cooling.

I'd suggest chilling your brew next time prior to force carbing.

What this guy said! I'd suggest carbing the beer at the intended serving temp.

follow this chart to set your pressure.

Back