Anyone got any tasty Quinoa recipes, or is "Tasty Quinoa" an oxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...moron?

The Doc wants me to reduce/eliminate my starch intake, and surprisingly that includes brown/wild rice which I love. Basically I can eat all the meat/chicken/fish protein I want and veggies (as long as it's not potatoes.)

Plus I know I'm not getting enough bran in me.

So I decided to play around with this Quinoa stuff that all the hippies/veg heads and new agers seem to sport woodies over. But my experience with many of those folks is that they wouldn't know flavor if it bit them on the butt. ;)

So today I sauteed half an onion and several cloves of chopped garlic. I soaked a packet of mixed dried mushrooms (porcini amongst them) in 2 cups of boiling water. When the onions and garlic were translucent I sprinkled in a few hot pepper flakes then sauteed a bag of spinach in the pot. When that melted down and the liquid boiled off I hit it with some Madeira, just enough to deglaze, then I diced up the mushrooms and added that to the pot. The added the Quinoa and sauteed the grains to pick up some of the goodness in the pot. Then I added 1 cup of the mushroom liquor, and 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock....after it was cooked I added a hand full of parm/reginno and served it with some grilled chicken thighs.

It was "OK" but still pretty bland despite everything going on. I could have salted the heck out of it to bring out the flavor but that would seem to defeat this whole healthy eating thing. ;)

I found an interesting risotto recipe, and mexican style black beans and Quinoa recipe that looks good and this Cajun Style Quinoa recipe.

Anyone got any recipes to share?

I like to mix it with pico de gallo. Or just Cilantro. I like cilantro in everything though!

I also serve quinoa with fish, double up on the protein, and fills you up.

Well, "my" nutrition advice flies in the face of most current teachings so take that for what it's worth. (But I have many hours of research into why the Food Pyramid is a lie, and why the obesity epidemic in the US coincides with the "7 servings of complex carbs a day"- a dissertation topic that doesn't fit neatly here. It's a total dissertation US diet over the last 30 years and the current obesity/diabetes link in the US among adults and juveniles).

Since no one is interested in my dissertation, I'll just give you the "high points" of quinoa!

It's the seed of the brassica family- related to broccoli. It's not an actual grain. This is great! BUT, it contains saponins (soap like molecules) that cannot be easily rinsed off. When you eat quinoa, you are consuming these saponins. The issue with saponins is that they can cause some irritation in the lower GI tract, and can cause a collection of symptoms that are collectively known as "leaky gut". More than quinoa causes leaky gut, of course. There are also other chemical compounds in quinoa, like that in grains, that are chemical response strategies so that many of the side effects of eating grains are present in quinoa although quinoa is not a grain.

I hope that makes sense to you. If not, let me know (facebook is fine) and I'll send you some easy links (not mine) that explain this in more detail.

Bob and I read over what you posted- and are amazed at your enlightened doctor! Most doctors tell you to "get more fiber" (poisonous wheat and other starches) and reduce fat!

I recently took a "heath test" at our hospital- part of our goals to reduce insurance costs. I scored a "96" out of "100" based on my fasting blood sugar, cholesterol, body fat and fitness level. I'm the "top scorer" at our facility at the ripe old age of 48. However, I failed the test.

I answered honestly that I eat meat more than 4 times per week, and butter and olive oil. I also said I don't eat ANY complex carbs. So they failed me!

I eat meat, chicken, fish, and veggies. Occasionally fruit. and Beer. Nothing else. Ever. No soda pop (diet or regular), bread, pastries, fast food, fruit juice, etc. I haven't had a banana in more than 2 years. I haven't had a donut in more than 25 years.

I'm fit, lean, and in perfect health. I take no medication, can outrun most 25 year olds, and have incredible stamina. Unfortunately, I failed the health questionnaire even though I'm at the perfect BMI, fat %, cholesterol level, and blood sugar level because they claim my diet is lacking in complex carbs and too high in fat.

Carbs are killing Americans in an unprecedented rate. Complex vs. simple- doesn't matter. Sugars are sugars. Stay far away.

Your doctor is the first I heard of first hand that is breaking off of the "food pyramid" and recommending a diet that stays away from the things I also believe in staying away from! My doctor tells me to "continue what you're doing", and "start eating complex carbs!" in the same breath. Ain't going to happen!

So, with all that said Yooper, should we not be eating this stuff?

Ah jeez, I had a few last night didn't I? Sorry for my rant about the US diet and all that grain stuff, Revvy! I didn't mean to totally derail the thread. Maybe people eat it, without problem.

I have eaten quinoa in the last couple of months when I was dying for a grain-like part of a meal. But yes, it's one of those things that sound great until you look into it. It affects the body much like wheat.

Like you I've been trying to choose better starch options but sweet potatoes can only go so far with me. I really really like a barley & quinoa salad. I toast the barley in a pan to give it some more flavor then make it. The recipe is at home but it is kind of like this.

Fresh herbs, some veggies (pico would work), a touch of oil, some spices, vinegar and you are good to go.

Make it Monday and it'll store in the fridge until the weekend.

I find that if I saute quinoa in a small amount of oil before I add liquid, it turns out better.

No matter what I do, I can't make the numbers on the scale go up....

Yoop, do you exercise at all? (I know you hunt/fish but do you get any high end cardio?)

It's my opinion that most people don't get enough exercise. add in eating too much/bad food and KaBlamo, bad health...

I find that if I saute quinoa in a small amount of oil before I add liquid, it turns out better.

No matter what I do, I can't make the numbers on the scale go up....

Yoop, do you exercise at all? (I know you hunt/fish but do you get any high end cardio?)

It's my opinion that most people don't get enough exercise. add in eating too much/bad food and KaBlamo, bad health...

Yes, I exercise a lot plus I'm very active besides (hiking/kayaking/snorkeling/playing hockey/rowing/etc). I'm very fit, and take no medications. My B/P is about 100/60 and my fasting pulse rate is about 62. I'm not naturally slim- as I am built just like my mother's side of the family and can easily gain weight.

Quinoa with broccoli, dried cranberries, feta and pistachios over salad greens is a weekly meal around here. Super easy to throw together and filling.

I found a quinoa recipe that combines it with garbanzo beans, cherry tomatoes, basil, spinach, mint feta, and a red wine vinegarette w/ smoked paprika. I'll try to pull it up if you like that kinda thing.

If anyone's interested in nutrition, I urge you to read the China Study or any writings by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's the largest study ever conducted on the relationship between diet and disease in people. Pretty interesting stuff and some surprising findings. I'd argue that it's not complex carbs that are killing people, but simple carbs, certain types of proteins, and the wrong kinds of fats....basically we're overfed and undernourished.

Anyway, don't want to go off on a rant, but take a look at that stuff and draw your own conclusions - there's a lot out there about diet that we've been misled on.

I think the running theme to making stuff like quinoa tasty is to add some flavor bombs here and there. Stuff like pickled peppers, tangy cheese bits, acidic fruit, roasty nuts...whatever.

We like to make Greek quinoa salad. Some feta, oregano, Greek olives, lemon juice, garlic powder, red peppers, grape tomatoes, banana peppers. Whatever you like. We make a big batch on Sundays and it is lunch for 2-3 days during the week. Gets better the longer it sits.

Edit: As far as carbs go, I prefer mine mostly fermented.

I can't vouch for the recipe as I've never made it, but I just found Hilah on youtube and she's entertaining if nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I do with Quinoa is I make Jamaican style "gravy" and shake it liberally (the only way a true New Yorker shakes it) over steamed Quinoa.

The gravy is a mix of cane (or cider) vinegar, whole scotch bonnets, olive oil, and soy sauce that has been allowed to do its thing for a while in an old rum bottle.

I like it a lot, SWMBO does not like it at all. YMMV.

I eat this stuff all the time. Fry up some churizzo in a pan with onions and poblano or any pepper you have, when its done add quinoa and chicken stock, same ratio as cooking rice 2 to 1 stock to quinoa, and some peas and corn. stir and season with s&p, garlic and whatever if you like. i think it needs to cook in the liquid for like 15 min or so may be 20, until all the liquid is gone. delicious

I eat this stuff all the time. Fry up some churizzo in a pan with onions and poblano or any pepper you have, when its done add quinoa and chicken stock, same ratio as cooking rice 2 to 1 stock to quinoa, and some peas and corn. stir and season with s&p, garlic and whatever if you like. i think it needs to cook in the liquid for like 15 min or so may be 20, until all the liquid is gone. delicious

This sounds tasty.

Oh, it is. My wife and I say this stuff a few times on the food network so I bought some and this is what we came up with. We make it often

We do various things with it, but one of my favorites is to make turkey stuffing with it. I don't have the recipe here, but you just cook a cup (pre-cooking) of quinoa, preferably in stock. While that's going, sautee a chopped onion and celery. At the end, toss in some sage and whatever other seasonings float your boat, mix in the quinoa, put it in an uncovered baking dish and bake at 350° until the top is crispy.

We do this because my son is allergic to wheat, but I think I like it better than traditional bread-based stuffings.

Back