Is there a difference????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
I have never brewed an extract kit. Only PM. I received an extract kit for a gift.

Is there really a big difference in tast?

Most of the difference seems to be in the actual brewing process. Seems like it would go much faster after reading the directions.

What really is the difference?

Boy, you can open a can of worms posing that question on here. I believe, that extracts do the work for you in getting out the fermentable sugars. Others, of course, will argue. To each his own. But, if it's a good kit and the ingredients are pretty fresh, the brew should be good regardless.

Extracts WITH specialty grains will taste much the same as PM or AG. Freshness is critical for extract. I suspect there are some styles where a straight extract recipe would be just as good, like a Left Coast IPA. Can you really taste anything except the hops?:ban:

Using fresh ingredients will make a better brew. If your extract is fresh, it still won't be as fresh as grain.
In all fairness, I have made some excellent extract brews, but since going AG, it seems that my brews have been better. I like the control AG gives me also. I can't blame a bad batch on anyone but me.

Latest posts

Back