What yeast (and recipe) to use for Corona cloning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftwood

Reaction score
So I saw a post on the site where Sudster gave a link to a Corona clone recipe here: (Thanks, Sudster.)

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=882

In another thread, it was explained to me what this Edme Dry yeast was and why I couldn't find any. (Thanks, homebrewer_99.)

So can anyone suggest a good yeast for a Corona clone, particularly a Wyeast (cuz thats what my HBS has)?

Sudster suggested an SAF ale yeast, and that got me wondering: Isn't Corona a lager? I wouldn't mind trying an ale yeast if it will give me something close to Corona, especially cuz I don't have a lagering fridge and its hittin 30C outside these days. (My fermenting room is 22-24C)

So can anyone suggest a yeast? Or a recipe for that matter? If i'm right about it being a lager, maybe this recipe isn't very good... :confused:

Help! I love a cold Corona with a lime on hot days like these, and they're really popular among my friends (female in particular ;) ) so it would impress more than other recipes...

Thanks...

I know white labs makes a mexican lager yeast. If you can't lager, try a california lager yeast... it can be fermented at a higher temp, but will change the beer's profile

But remember to bottle it in clear bottles and let it condition in full sun for that nice skunky flavor. :D

desertBrew said:
But remember to bottle it in clear bottles and let it condition in full sun for that nice skunky flavor. :D

Heh heh... yeah, I'll have to try that on some of them to see the difference... :D

For anyone else who might one day try to clone Corona:

1. As was mentioned above, White Labs has a Mexican lager yeast. I'll probably try that in the winter when it gets colder.

2. I emailed Wyeast and they suggested a yeast for both lagering temp and warm temps like I have now (22C). For a cool ferment (typical lager fermentation temps), they suggest 2007 Pilsen Lager Yeast. For warm ferments like I'll probably need to do, they recommend 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast.

Coincidentally, Clone Brews has a recipe for Dos Equis and another mexican lager, both for which they suggest 2124 yeast.

As a final question, can someone describe what Dos Equis is like compared to Corona and other beers? We don't get it up here, but I've got the recipe, so I might give it a try sometime too...

And I'd still like to see some other Corona clone recipes if anyone has them...

Thanks...

Driftwood said:
As a final question, can someone describe what Dos Equis is like compared to Corona and other beers? We don't get it up here, but I've got the recipe, so I might give it a try sometime too...

Thanks...

If I'm looking for a light mexican beer I'd always choose Dos Equis (or Tecate) over Corona. Two types that I know of a green bottle which is lighter colored and the brown bottle which a wee bit darker in color. Both are very light tasting styled beers. Much like a corona less that funkier taste of a corona. Probably a bit ligher on hops as well. See if you have pacifico in your area. Those are similar to a brown bottle dos equis.

Back