woops, hoppy wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
so i brewed a witbier last week. 4.5 lbs pilsner malt 2row, 4.5 lbs flaked wheat, 1 lb rice hulls, coriander, bitter orange peel, millenium hops, saaz, etc.

recipe called for .13 oz of milleniums for 60 minutes, but i forgot to add them at 60 minutes and ran in and tossed some in at about 50 minutes. I wasnt weighing them, so i just grabbed some and threw them in, not realizing till after the fact that i threw in about .50 oz. they are 14.40 aa, with IBU 28.8.

it's been fermenting for 6 days now so i pulled a hydrometer sample, and am not at FG yet. I tasted the beer and boy is it hoppy.

at this point in the process, what can i do to help alleviate the super hop flavor? i was thinking about adding more coriander and orange peel to the primary. thoughts? i'm just gonna keg it when i hit my FG.

cheers.

That's a tough call. You're stuck between drinking a beer that's best early on and the normal tendency for hop aroma and flavor to fade. I wouldn't add anything and I would wait until week 4 to keg. That will give the flavor oils more time to dissipate. I'd be more concerned about the IBUs, which won't change.

you know whats interesting, beersmith shows the beer profile IBU range at 15-40 IBU's. based on my actual recipe (not intended recipe), I'm at 33.2 IBU's. I've learned not to pull all my confidence in beersmith though.

Latest posts

Back