Can hops get freezer burned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have too much hops in the freezer and I don't have a seal-a-meal so I usually just put them in zip-locks... So I took out some Fuggle this morning and the outside of the bag had that frosty freeezer burned smell but inside they still smelled like fuggle... I realize the alpha drops after x-period of time but does anyone have experience with freezer burn and what is the best way to store those little expensive jewels so they last (give me a low tech answer please)

Thanks!

I use a pump n seal with mason jars to store my hops. the website looks a bit over the top, but it does work decently.

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

I recently purchased a food saver though, and will likely use both for different purposes.

Haha. Yup, I bought it about 3 years ago before I could afford a foodsaver, and it works well enough for the mason jars for storing the hops. I still use it, actually because I don't want to waste the food saver bags with the hops when I can just reuse the mason jars.

Back