Honey Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second batch, and decided to go with a Brewer's Best English Nut Brown kit. I wanted to add a little something of my own to the recipe, and thought honey would be a nice fit for this beer.

3.3# amber LME
2# amber DME
8oz Crystal 60L
ABV to be between 4.0-5.0%

I'm thinking of adding 1.5 lbs honey to the wort durring the last 15 minutes of the boil. My goal is to 1) increase the ABV 1.5-2%, and 2) add a nice honey aroma and slight honey taste to the beer.

How much will 1.5 lbs of honey increase the ABV, and will adding the honey in the last 15 mins of the boil get me the aroma and flavor I'm looking for?

Also, shouldn't a nut brown recipe have some sort of toasted or chocolate malt? Which is more traditional, and how much should I add?

Thanks for all the help

Im doing a honey nut brown with honey malt this time instead of adding honey late in the boil. Ill keep you posted on how it turns out.

The honey wont add much for taste since it ferments out almost completely. It can add some nice aroma though.

And for the toasted or chocolate....sure add a bit of chocolate malt, and some biscuit or victory to it as well.

I feel a half pound of chocolate is necessary for a brown and the "nut" comes from biscuit/victory. If you can find it, 4 oz of honey malt will give you a good flavor.

Back