Dogfish Head 60 min IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
That's exactly what it means. Dogfish Head uses a difference process to hop their beers. I'm not sure though if it's just used on the IPA's or everything. As for clones, unless you use the continuous method mentioned, it's hard to get a perfect clone.

There's clones for this beer all over the internet. Compare it to what's posted at AHS and make your decision.

thats about what they do. If you read their book essentially have a machine that continually adds hops ofer the course of the hour. I recently did an amarillo IPA where I added an ounce every 10 mins and it came out great!! Though to replicate the flavors you may not need to do the continual hop thing.

I have no idea what the AHS one is like (though they have a reputation for good kits).

But check this thread out too for Yooper's clone, which is great!

Took some notes from Extreme Brewing (written by Sam, the owner of Dogfish Head):

6 important components to dry hopping:

Quantity-about 1/4oz to 1 oz per gallon of homebrew
Time-no realistic formula to use, but keep the CO2 layer intact and keep light out of glass carboys. Stick to the recipe and OG/FG.
Temperature-Shoot for 52 to 72F range
Mixing-rock the fermenter gently to maximize contact area on the hops
Multiple Dry Hop Additions-spread out the time between dry-hopping (i.e. 1/2 oz per week depending on your recipe)
Yeast Contact-it's best to minimize hop contact with the live yeast if you want boatloads of hop aroma.

PS-Firstnten, get a porta-loo. :p

Took some notes from Extreme Brewing (written by Sam, the owner of Dogfish Head):

6 important components to dry hopping:

Quantity-about 1/4oz to 1 oz per gallon of homebrew
Time-no realistic formula to use, but keep the CO2 layer intact and keep light out of glass carboys. Stick to the recipe and OG/FG.
Temperature-Shoot for 52 to 72F range
Mixing-rock the fermenter gently to maximize contact area on the hops
Multiple Dry Hop Additions-spread out the time between dry-hopping (i.e. 1/2 oz per week depending on your recipe)
Yeast Contact-it's best to minimize hop contact with the live yeast if you want boatloads of hop aroma.

PS-Firstnten, get a porta-loo. :p

How would you minimize hop contact with live yeast? Esp if you want to rock the carboy? I have never dry hopped multiple times....This brew is becoming more and more interesting with each post...

i made the yoopers 60 DFH and i divided up the hops into 60 small piles, pulled up a stool and added one small hop pile every minute. its fermenting like crazy now :)

How would you minimize hop contact with live yeast? Esp if you want to rock the carboy? I have never dry hopped multiple times....This brew is becoming more and more interesting with each post...

The book says to wait until it's in a secondary or until it's decently clarified in the primary. Apparently yeasties like hops as much as we do...

Google the Zopinator. I built one and have made this beer multiple times. It flat out kicksass...

Zopinator is just a new name for Randall isn't it?

I built a mini-randall a few months back for a buddies birthday. We had a keg of imperial IPA @ 8.9%ABV and 113IBU's. Add on the randall filled with 2oz. of centennial leaf hops, pineapple, and oranges...it was intense.

Latest posts

Back