jamil's pumpkin pie spice ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
OK, so I threw this into beersmith, but why is the OG different?
jamil's- OG 1.056, FG 1.016, ABV 5.2%
in beersmith-OG 1.071, FG 1.017, abv 7.06%.
is this right? what am i doing wrong?
thanks for your help, here's the recipe:

pumpkin spice beer
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

Type: Extract
Date: 8/28/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.58 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 81.79 %
0.23 kg Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.25 %
0.23 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
0.23 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
0.11 kg Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 2.58 %
34.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 18.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 16.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: -
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: -
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: -

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

sweet. thanks, that makes sense. so how could I modify this for a 5 gallon batch?

yes, I'm in beersmith, but I'm not sure how to do the adjustments

In Beersmith, have the recipe in with the correct amounts (6 gallons, 70%), and then right above the words "Recipe View" is a button that says "Scale". click that, and enter the new Batch Size and Efficiency, it will then change it all to make it correct.

thanks so much! OK, i think I did it. I still am very green, and have no idea my efficiency, or really how to calculate it. could i just leave it at 70% for now, and will that get me in the ballpark? and is a 6 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch about right?
here's what it gave me:

pumpkin spice beer
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

Type: Extract
Date: 8/28/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.98 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 81.79 %
0.19 kg Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.25 %
0.19 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
0.19 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
0.09 kg Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 2.58 %
27.96 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.85 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 16.7 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: -
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: -
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: -

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Mash Notes: -

Just leave it at 70%. It is not important since you are using extract. That is only important for all grain.

He is using 6 gallons batches, staring with (roughly) 7 gallons prior to the boil, 6 gallons after the boil, ferment 5.5 gallons, and finally package 5 gallons.

But, yes start with 6 gallons to have 5 gallons at the end of the boil. The scaled recipe you posted looks good.

That looks right, if your getting your grain crushed at the homebrew store, you would probably going to be in the 70% range anyway, since most homebrew stores mills are set to allow a good balance between lauterability and efficiency, and for extract it really doesn't matter.

The recipes in that book are set up for 6 gallons for a few reasons. 6 gallons at the end of the boil lets you leave behind about .5 gallon in the kettle with the hops and break material. It also allows to leave behind another .5 gallon in the fermenter so you end up bottling/kegging 5 gallons of beer.

An update and a question:

thanks everyone for helping me learn how to scale these recipes down to 5 gal batches!
I tasted this last night and took an SG reading-1.016 instead of 1.014, but that 's not so bad, right? it tasted awesome. a subtle pumpkin pie spice that grew a little more intense with each sip-very cool.

my question is this: I was reading on here about head retention and one of the things I saw was that alcohol can kill head. so, since I made a couple of these recipes without realizing that I was making a 6 gal recipe for a 5 gal batch-DUH!-and my beers have ended up way higher alcohol-wise, could this be a big reason I had head retention problems with these beers? please say yes,as I'm slowing tweaking stuff to try and remedy this issue and I'm hoping that this pumpkin pie spice ale will be my 1st beer with the problem resolved(of course I'll have to wait another three weeks once it's in the bottle to see). thank again for all yall's help!
c

I brewed the all grain version of this about 2 weekends ago. Smells real good when i checked the grav in primary.

Same here. I brewed the AG version two weeks ago. Put it in secondary Wednesday night and it tasted great. I added a little more spice to the secondary. I went off of JZ's recommendation from BCS and added 2/3 of the spice at end of boil and saved the other 1/3 to increase the spice as needed.

Same here. I brewed the AG version two weeks ago. Put it in secondary Wednesday night and it tasted great. I added a little more spice to the secondary. I went off of JZ's recommendation from BCS and added 2/3 of the spice at end of boil and saved the other 1/3 to increase the spice as needed.
Did you use any real pumpkin? I did not.

my question is this: I was reading on here about head retention and one of the things I saw was that alcohol can kill head. so, since I made a couple of these recipes without realizing that I was making a 6 gal recipe for a 5 gal batch-DUH!-and my beers have ended up way higher alcohol-wise, could this be a big reason I had head retention problems with these beers? please say yes,as I'm slowing tweaking stuff to try and remedy this issue and I'm hoping that this pumpkin pie spice ale will be my 1st beer with the problem resolved(of course I'll have to wait another three weeks once it's in the bottle to see). thank again for all yall's help!
c

I have heard the same about high alcohol but have never seen evidence of it. It's definitely more alcohol concentrated into 5 gallons but nothing extreme that would affect head retention.

Maybe it's a symptom of some other issue? Are the glasses clean and free of all oils & soaps? Does the head foam up quickly and then disappear? Maybe a recipe tweak would help, like a dash of wheat or carapils?

If the beer tastes good and you enjoy it, it's not a problem. Let us know how it is out of the bottle! Sounds like it'll be ready for Halloween and pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

i did the AG of this last weekend. i am at the point where i have need to add a little more spice to it. i am doing the vodka/spice tea to add to the fermenter. i am a little nervous about screwing it up with too much spice. heres to it coming out ok!

I did the same thing with the spice tea. I added about half of the remaining spice tea when I transferred to secondary. I am trying to be conservative as I don't want it to become over-spiced.

Any chance you have the AG recipe. I'm brewing one up in a wek or 2 and would like to brew this one......

Here's a link to the recipe, note that it is for 12 gallons so you will have to scale it down.

http://wassweb.com/homebrew/51.html

And the spices are (For 6 Gal):
Cinnamon 1/2 tsp
Ginger 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg 1/8 tsp
Allspice 1/8 tsp

Add some at the end of the boil (I used 2/3 as JZ recommends). Any leftover spice mix can be soaked in vodka to make a spice extract. You can add that to taste in secondary or at bottling/kegging time.

this one turned out pretty nice. it's been in the bottle just under 2 weeks, so not fully carbed, but the flavor is very good, malty, refreshing. although IMO the spices are a little too subtle. I used the precise amount in the recipe at the end of the boil, so maybe lost some flavor during ferm. I'll use a little more next time, or split it like others have said. i'm thinking of during the same recipe, but christmas-ing it up a little (adding also clove, orange peel, maybe some anise or grains of paradise), to have a nice light christmas beer. any other suggestions for a christmasy spice?

@Doog Si Reeb: I tried the link to the recipe you posted and it's dead. Any chance you could post the AG recipe here? Thanks!

Back