Reverse IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a recipe and I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so how it turned out.

I'm thinking about making a heavily hopped beer but doing it with out making it overly bitter. I'm thinking about using East Kent Goldings for aroma and one other for bitter (thinking about Cascade but open to suggestions).

Here's the hop schedule I am thinking about:
60 Mins - 1/4 oz Cascade
45 Mins - 1/4 oz Cascade
30 Mins - 1/2 oz Cascade & 1/2 oz East Kent
15 Min - 1/2 oz East Kent
5 Mins - 1 oz East Kent
Dry Hop - 1 oz East Kent

Thoughts?

Thanks

+1 ^ You are making a beer that will have some great aroma, and very little bitter, not much of an IPA for a 5 gallon batch. I just made up a Small IPA that has a bunch of hops, but isn't overly bitter. Also made up a really hoppy Pale ale that I call my Sweet Delicious Mowlawner, and it is a bit bitter, but not over the top.

Yeah I know its not really an IPA just wasn't sure what style it would fit into.

I like hops but some of the IPAs take it way to far on the bitterness and I think it takes away the balance.

Thanks

Yeah I know its not really an IPA just wasn't sure what style it would fit into.

I like hops but some of the IPAs take it way to far on the bitterness and I think it takes away the balance.

Thanks

Believe me, I understand what you mean there. The thing that I have been playing with is utilizing a lot of aroma, but very little bittering addition (comparatively). Trust me when I say that I am the least fanatic about an overly bitter IPA that they are just trying to one up the next guy. Balance is the key and I have only made one beer that was too bitter for myself (made it in a style friends would like)

Just don't forget that you'll some level of IBUs to balance out the malty sweetness. I'm too lazy to figure out what the hop schedule you describe in the original post is not enough, just right, or too much on the bitterness.

i like your thinking on the hop schedule. try and let us know the results. i am tweaking my pale ale right now, and i would love to hear you results. RED DRAGONS!!!

i like your thinking on the hop schedule. try and let us know the results. i am tweaking my pale ale right now, and i would love to hear you results. RED DRAGONS!!!

Once I get the recipe finished I'll post it on this thread and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm leaning toward throwing another ounce in the late additions.

Believe me, I understand what you mean there. The thing that I have been playing with is utilizing a lot of aroma, but very little bittering addition (comparatively). Trust me when I say that I am the least fanatic about an overly bitter IPA that they are just trying to one up the next guy. Balance is the key and I have only made one beer that was too bitter for myself (made it in a style friends would like)

yeah not to bash on the IPA fans but it just seems like the balance is off with some of these beers. I love hops but I don't want it to be so bitter that you can't enjoy the beer.

Just my preference.

Yeah I totally vouch for this late-hopping technique. I use it for my very favorite beer, an amber. I make it nice and malty, dry, huge hop flavor/aroma, and little to no bitterness. I also like to layer the hop additions so that a different variety gets a slightly different role to play. I've been meaning to try it without the first-wort-hop altogether.
Also consider manipulating your chloride/sulfate ratio to smooth over bitterness if you need to.

5.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 42.7 %
3.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 29.9 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 17.1 %
1.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
mash at 154

0.30 oz Summit [18.50%] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.70 oz Summit [18.50%] (20 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.70 oz Glacier [5.60%] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.70 oz Ahtanum or Cascade [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.00 oz Ahtanum or Cascade [6.00%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

snottingham fermented at 62F

SG/FG - 1.056/1.014

Cheers!

Yeah I totally vouch for this late-hopping technique. I use it for my very favorite beer, an amber. I make it nice and malty, dry, huge hop flavor/aroma, and little to no bitterness. I also like to layer the hop additions so that a different variety gets a slightly different role to play. I've been meaning to try it without the first-wort-hop altogether.
Also consider manipulating your chloride/sulfate ratio to smooth over bitterness if you need to.

5.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 42.7 %
3.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 29.9 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 17.1 %
1.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
mash at 154

0.30 oz Summit [18.50%] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.70 oz Summit [18.50%] (20 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.70 oz Glacier [5.60%] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.70 oz Ahtanum or Cascade [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.00 oz Ahtanum or Cascade [6.00%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

snottingham fermented at 62F

SG/FG - 1.056/1.014

Cheers!

This looks like a good recipe. Have you played around with dry hopping this?

I did an IPA using all Centennials: FWH, 30, 20, 10, 0, DH. Bitterness was only at about 45 IB's and it was delicious w/o the bite.

Use the classic IPA American hops if you want the citrus/pine thing. EKGs will not deliver that.

This looks like a good recipe. Have you played around with dry hopping this?

Nope never dry-hopped it. I'm sure it would be delicious! BTW summit tastes amazing for dry-hop, I just don't do it for this beer. I have a great IPA recipe for that :)

My little Pale Ale I used 4 oz of 8%+ AAU Cascades all in the last 30 minutes, and Dryhopped 2 oz's. Yum! I think I did fumble 1 pellet into the kettle at 60 minutes though:eek: It was right around 40 or so Ibus I think- very little back end bitterness, it tastes malty with that cascade hop flavor, the bite never really comes on it.

I did a 1.068 IPA using 9 ounces of hops continuously added starting with 20 minutes left in the boil, and then I dry hopped with another 3 ounces. The hop flavor and aroma is far, FAR stronger than ANY commercial beer I have ever had (including Pliny!). The late hop IPA is a floral, grassy, citrus bomb with only a lingering hint of bitterness even though it should be ~80 IBUs according to BeerSmith. If it wasn't over 7% ABV I could drink it all night.

Don't forget that the later you hop it, the less time that the flavor will last. Part of the reason behind the bitter is to both balance and make it so that there is still flavor after a bit of time. It took me long enough to drink one of my beers that I dry hopped and late hopped and it was slightly lacking in the balance aspect. So plan to drink it a little bit quicker than you think.

Otherwise, this looks tasty!

Back