Best Non-Secondary Recipes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzymizzy

Reaction score
Ok, we are looking for a recipe that does not require a secondary fermenter to maximize our equipment's usage. Bottle fermentation recipes could work too.

What are your favorite recipes?!

most of the guys here would probably tell you that you never really need a secondary anyway, just 3 weeks in primary then keg/bottle. I always do secondary but I feel like I get the most out of my equipment this way, 3 buckets for primary and 3 carboys for secondary, all of them are pretty much constantly full.

But some kind of wheat/wit/hefe or something like a stout/porter would be good for no secondary. Really anything you don't need to dry hop for the most part.

+1 with above.

There are really few beers that you have to do a secondary with.

Any beer where you DON'T add fruit, dry hop or oak, can be a no secondary beer....and many people now adays do THAT in primary as well...

You will find that many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, skip secondary and bottle. Just search for the 10,000 threads under "long Primary" or "no secondary" and you will see all the resaons why we do it, and the explanations behind...There's at least one thread a day on the topic, so it's really not hard to find the discussion pretty much hashed to death.

but if you choose to secondary you should wait til your Hydrometer tells you fermentation is complete.

If I do secondary (which is only when I am adding fruit or oak) I wait 14 days then rack for another 2 weeks...then I bottle.

But that's only if I am dry hopping or adding oak or fruit, whicnh I rarely do, so for me it's a month than bottle,

Honestly you will find your beer will be the best if you ignore the kit instructions, and don't rush it.

But Even Palmer says you should wait with kits...

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Your beer will thank you for waiting....:mug:

...What are your favorite recipes?!

To try and answer the original question:

I have a nice Boulevard Wheat clone in the primary right now that after 20 days will go straight to the keg.

There are a couple of decent wit recipes floating around here as well.

My APA and IPA recipes all get dry hopped so they are out of the question (because I like to harvest my yeast).

A good strong Belgian Dubbel goes very well straight to bottles/kegs after 4 weeks in a primary. Try and stir up some of that yeast though because it really helps the character.

Hopefully this helps you get started with some styles, but what kind of beers do you like? :mug:

Back