Warm Temperature Fermentation Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javedian

Reaction score
OK - I understand that generally lower temps (65-72) are best for ales, and most of my last 10-15 batches have all been temp controlled in a dedicated fridge, and wish I could stay temp controlled. This summer, I probably won't have that option, as we have been using the spare as overflow, and have to keep it at fridge / freezer funtion temps. I use an aquarium heater in a tub to keep my brews warm now, but that will stop soon as spring approaches.

I am trying to get a good stash while it is cool, but will have to brew a few during the summer, when our house is normally 78-80*F.

What yeasts (preferably White Labs or dry, but I can order Wyeast) are acceptable at those temps? I understand that I will not get clean profiles, but that is OK - I love Belgain and British yeast character. What I am looking for is what WONT produce fusels or other BAD flavors - I can work with fruity. Based on the yeast, I will develop a beer recipe working backwards. Saison yeast (WLP566 & WLP568) are the only ones I am sure will be OK. I have heard that Nottingham (a personal favorite) does OK at higher temps, but have not gone warm with it. I have found that Safbrew T-58 is bad warm - it gave me horrible fusels at 80, but was great at 70. I wll try to keep the warm beers below about 1.060, which will help also.

Based on what my summer yeasts will be, I am planning my spring beers to give variety.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't think you're going to find a yeast that can work in that temp range that won't produce alot of esters and/or fusel alcohols. I had a Dark English that got up in the upper 70's using Nottingham and I'm not very happy with it. I'm pretty sure there is some fusel alcohol in there. If your ambient temps are 80 degrees that means your beer is going to be 85 and I can't imagine you will get good results that way.

Use your tub as a swamp cooler to keep your beer cold the same way you keep it warm now. Little water and some ice and you're all set. Quite a few threads on here about swamp coolers. hint hint ;)

Or find a cheap used fridge in the classified section of the paper/craigslist/resale shop and continue the temp control setup. I don't think you'll be happy with ambient fermentation temperatures after having temperature control so far.

A "cube" cooler, with a thick piece of foam cut to fit the carboy and top of the cooler, along with a frozen water bottle or two, and you can ferment at the correct temps.

if you can keep the temp down for just 2-4 days and use a belgian yeast, you can then let the temp rise to 78-80 over a week and should have a perfect belgian

i use wyeast 1388 belgian strong, which is the same as white labs 570 gold strong ale

belgian golden strong ale is the best category for the higher temperatures- supposedly some belgian breweries crank the heat up to the low 90's to get 80%+ attenuation!

i brewed a golden strong two weeks ago- kept it around 66 for four days- when the krausen disappeared i slowly increased the heat- its been at 82 degrees for a week now and i can still see a steady stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom

Back