LME and DME Variety ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebgh

Reaction score
Okay all.

I am trying to move from the kit stage to buying ingredients and following recipes and have run into a couple problems that I was hoping someone could help me with. I am currently reading the book Brewing Classic Styles. Several of the recipes call for

1. English Pale LME
2. Munich LME
3. American Pale LME

Can someone explain to me what this is. I mean is Muntons light the same as English Pale?

Is Briess light the same as American Pale?

And where can I get Munich extract.

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question and am prepared to take some crap if I can get the answer.

Caleb:fro:

English pale LME would be an extract from an english malt like Maris Otter or Golden Promise.

Munich LME is extract from munich malt.

American LME is extract from a regular American 2 row barley.

You should be able to get all of these varieties from online providers (northern brewer, austin homebrew supply etc.)

I guess maybe I am an idiot. But all I can find are the various Briess and Muntons and canned prehopped varieties. NB carries Alexanders Pale Ale Malt. There are also some recipes that call for Maris Otter LME. Havent been able to find it either.

C

I couldn't find those varieties either. I just picked out recipes from the book that used "Light LME". The blonde ale is in the primary now.

Back