A Beginner's Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I made the jump from brewing with a Cooper's kit to an all grain set up. It was a big leap for me and I'm left with some questions that I didn't anticipate. I was left with a lot of "gunk" after boiling my wort. Some of this (most of this) was transfered along with the wort to the fermentor. The recipe was Biermuncher's Centenial Blonde and I had a blast brewing it! By transfering this "gunk" did I ruin my beer? I think most of it was from broken down and boiled down hops.

You did not ruin your beer. Hops, hot and cold break, and all the other "gunk" will all settle out in the end. You can, of course, siphon or strain as you put it in the fermenter but I don't usually bother. I figure when I rack to secondary or bottling bucket, I'll just leave it all behind.

Awesome, thanks Nurmey. I didn't think it would hurt and actually more concerned that not adding it to the fermentor would affect the overall quality.

Back