Need answer fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finishing pressing 20liters apple juice and want to add yeast as oppose to wild yeast I have some campden tabs 2 years out of date or so,e wilko stabiliser which has sodium metabisulphate and potasium sorbate. I have read that the latter could stop the pitched yeast when I pitch 24 hrs after I put the stabiliser or would it be ok

If you are using a wine yeast the sulfites shouldn't be an issue. I would think the sorbate could cause a lag if you don't pitch a high enough cell count. Since I'm not familiar with Wilko Stabilizer I would suggest not using it...but someone else might be able to provide more info.

Thanks for the replies. Just found somewhere that its ok but only if use a starter also I have yeast nutrient so will also bump up the count.

I wouldn't even bother with adding campden. Any yeast you add will outcompete any wild yeast.

I added the stabiliser. Do any of you know if I need to leave it open for the 36 hrs so the chemicals can evaporate or is it ok to leave closed

That's a good question. I assume since you have added sorbate and sulfites you don't have to worry about infection. I just wonder about the reaction to O2. Since the sulfites are supposed to be an antioxidant maybe it won't be and issue.

By "stabilizer", I hope you didn't mean sorbate? Just campden tablets (or the potassium metabisulfite powder)?

Sorbate will ensure no fermentation, as that is the purpose. It is a preservative. If you used a stabilizer with sorbate, you're done for.

Campden (sulfites) on the other hand kill microbes like wild yeast and bacteria, in effect "sanitizing" the must so that the chosen yeast strain can be added. If you used the appropriate amount of sulfite, 50-75 ppm, then you can add yeast in 24 hours. You can cover it until you add the yeast.

Well it was a mix of sulphite and pot sorbate. Read on quite a few posts that if I make a strong starter and wait 36 hrs then will be ok

Well it was a mix of sulphite and pot sorbate. Read on quite a few posts that if I make a strong starter and wait 36 hrs then will be ok

Well, not in my experience but I haven't been making wine all that long (about 20 years). Maybe others with more experience can beat out sorbate, but unfortunately I can't.

"Stabilizer" is used when the cider is finished, to "stabilize" the wine so it can be sweetened and bottled without fermentation taking place. The sorbate in it is a product that inhibits yeast reproduction, so that if there are any yeast in the solution it can't restart fermentation. That means that it shouldn't ferment. But if you make a huge huge huge yeast starter so that it doesn't need to reproduce, I guess in theory that fermentation could start.

Keep in mind that sorbate has a rather unpleasant taste to begin with, but if concurrent MLF (malo lactic acid fermentation) takes place, it will ruin the cider. So you now have to make sure to maintain a steady 50 ppm of sulfites to prevent MLF (common in cider) to avoid that happening.

Sounds like it is a real problem, but I wish you best of luck!

Had the same happen to me,added peach juice without realizing it had sorbate in it.Would not ferment so I added vodka and me and the lads drank it down.From now on I do not make cider while drinking cider:drunk:

That's the whole point. Been reading up on sorbate and it ends out that its possible to ferment with it. Just need a strong starter with enough yeast cells to carry it through. Looks like il be ok. It's bubbling away.

Back