Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or if you're really lazy, you could go 'lectric.

slide_247988_1460482_free.jpg

Actually a lot of things I hear on here. I know lots of professional Brewers who scoff at some of the things that are shared on here as knowledge, but we take it in even though it's just rhetoric and theory.

Actually a lot of things I hear on here. I know lots of professional Brewers who scoff at some of the things that are shared on here as knowledge, but we take it in even though it's just rhetoric and theory.

Name a few if you don't mind (either professional brewers, things that they scoff at, or both).

"Okay. But you know it's an ale because the yeast ferments on top instead of the bottom don't you?"

I would have to laugh at anyone who said this^

Peoples opinions on open-top fermenters in the brewing industry. With for some reason the belief that they are more susceptible to infection and air exposure.

The single air bubble release from the collection ball on a fast ferment will somehow expose your beer to to much oxygen.

Unfortunately I used this as a general post, to state that there are a lot of myths between what home brewers know due to theory and rhetoric and then the actual applicable information. I'll post more as they come back to me. I've asked a lot of questions, and have gotten several interesting looks for some of them!

I'm certainly willing to go off of theory. That means there was a hypothesis, that hypothesis was tested under controlled conditions, it was confirmed, the results published and the test was repeated by someone else not connected to the original hypothesizer, who also got the same result and there has been no one since who has repeated the test who got a conflicting result.

You take in something even greater than theory? Do tell...

Peoples opinions on open-top fermenters in the brewing industry. With for some reason the belief that they are more susceptible to infection and air exposure.

I would wager that professional brewers have a lot more control over the air quality in their industrial production environment that most home brewers have in their homes what with pets, kids, etc. Plus the variability from home brewer to home brewer from a sharing site like this is likely to be huge, so you'll get one person who has control going "This works!" and 10 others that don't going "No it doesn't!"

Others "things that are scoffed at"?

It's also an ice cream, but we don't brew with it...funny how some hop varieties are expressed in the plural by many folks, when they're singular. Like golding & fuggle...

Back off-topic to funny things--I recently attended a good ole boy wedding in GA. The main topic of much furious discussion over several weeks leading up to the reception, was making sure they would serve "really good" beer. They were thrilled to learn I home brewed and wanted to know whether I approved their decision to serve both Coors Light **AND** Bud Light. I was raised by my Momma right; I told them it was a fine selection ... for them.

I approved their decision to serve both Coors Light **AND** Bud Light.

Oh man, they didn't have a fine triple hops brewed pilsner. I only suspect that wedding was a failure without that! You are partially to blame for letting that go through.

Back off-topic to funny things--I recently attended a good ole boy wedding in GA. The main topic of much furious discussion over several weeks leading up to the reception, was making sure they would serve "really good" beer. They were thrilled to learn I home brewed and wanted to know whether I approved their decision to serve both Coors Light **AND** Bud Light. I was raised by my Momma right; I told them it was a fine selection ... for them.

46kt5.gif

I once asked the guy at the beer distributer (I think only those of us in PA are cursed with these) what the difference between yuengling and yuengling premium was and was told that "the premium is an ale and regular yuengling is a beer". I kept my mouth shut and I actually haven't seen that guy since.

I'm gonna tell people that the reason Guinness "cascades" is because they use a lot of Cascade hops and that any beer made with Cascade hops does that. also, it will be black because that's what make Guinness as black as coal and heavy as gold.

I had a funny image in my head of you sitting on a beer keg throne pronouncing their decision to be worthy! Lol

I had a funny image in my head of you sitting on a beer keg throne pronouncing their decision to be worthy! Lol

Both Coors light & Bud light? Did they have both kinds of music too? Both country AND Western??? More like an ale than a porter? Billy, you're behind on them berry punches, fella...

I kept my head down, I paid my proper respects, I kept my mouth shut when the groom's step dad showed up and played graba$$ on the dancefloor during the "cutting of the cake" which became "knock over the bride showing all the world your altogether", and beat feat as soon as possible after the father of the bride had danced the obligatory first dance with his daughter....to Free Bird.

I kept my head down, I paid my proper respects, I kept my mouth shut when the groom's step dad showed up and played graba$$ on the dancefloor during the "cutting of the cake" which became "knock over the bride showing all the world your altogether", and beat feat as soon as possible after the father of the bride had danced the obligatory first dance with his daughter....to Free Bird.

Bahahahaha. I'm surprised they even offered beer of any kind. The weddings like this I've attended have all been BYOB.

I remember we had a trash can filled with ice & Weidaman beer. All kinds of liquor & champagne, including scotch for my white shoe wearing, won't drink anything but scotch wife's uncle. And some Alaskan weed called " Madanuska thunder f***!

I remember we had a trash can filled with ice & Weidaman beer. All kinds of liquor & champagne, including scotch for my white shoe wearing, won't drink anything but scotch wife's uncle. And some Alaskan weed called " Madanuska thunder f***!

Are you serious? The Matanuska thunder**** is the most amazing **** I've ever had.

Trying to tell people what it is with a straight face is hard.

Funny thing about beer.

I heard great things about that beer for a while, so I finally picked one up and tried it. Maybe it was a bad bottle or something, but the bourbon flavor was way too strong, like a tall, cold, bubbly glass of Jack, no subtlety about it. I guess some people would be into it, but I won't be buying another.

My stepson got a hold of a Kuhnhenn Big Tony's Imperial Stout aged in a Buffalo Trace Barrel, which he shared with us. I was telling a bartender at work about it, and he said, "I've had the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel. I wasn't impressed. If I want to drink bourbon, I'll drink bourbon." I can't exactly blame him for that impression. While the KBB has it's place, it's quite a shame if that's somebody's only experience with a barrel aged beer.

Wiedeman!!!! The first beer to ever cross my lips! I was 13...

The funny part is they called it "beer"!

Weideman wasn't too bad back in the 70's. Stubbies with no neck too boot. I was just trying to remember who brewed it at that point? I keep thinking Heileman?

Back